Speaking of movies.....

Does anybody know the name of an old wwii desert movies, intro goes like this......

bloke driving in a jeep with a dead buddy in passenger side, Lilli Marlene (in german) on the radio, he hits a certain point changes radio to Radio Allies and there's Lilli again (in english) ... and the movies goes on from there.

Just curious really, but if I find the movie will probably beg, borrow, buy , steal etc and have a look. TIA Tak

-----------------

- *Completion*Retention*Speed* Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road

-----------------

Reply to
Tak

I think that was "Raid on Rommel" with Richard Burton, maybe somebody else can confirm?

John Hairell ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com)

Reply to
guardian6

Is it this one?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Tak wrote in news:Xns980AD65B41FECtaklonnospamhotmailc@66.250.146.161:

Play Dirty

Gray Ghost

Is that the one where they find a german field ambulance with a nurse inside it?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote in news:s6-dnY5OQ98z snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Yes. I saw it years ago on the ABC (pick a day) Night movies. That's back when they actually ran good movies on the networks. It was Micheal Caine's first movie, Battle of Britain's schedule was adjusted a bit to allow him to finish PD first. It's a pretty intense movie, first war movie I recall where everyone was not neccessarily a hero. The ascent of the bluff and the ambush by the Germans of the "official" raiding party stuck in my mind. That and the ending. Couldn't find it for years, it was only released in England that I knew of. Finally found a VHS copy at a show up here couple years back.

It's harsh but a good movie.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Uh, no, Michael Caine had appeared in many movies prior to this. His first role as one of the leads was in 1964's "Zulu", but as the IMDB shows he had played numerous minor roles and bit parts prior to that.

Between "Zulu" (1964) and "Play Dirty" (1968) Michael was one of the leads in about half-a-dozen movies, including the three "Harry Palmer" films ("The Ipcress File", "Funeral in Berlin" and "Billion Dollar Brain"), to say nothing of the iconic "Alfie".

Bruce Melbourne, Australia

Reply to
Bruce Probst

Shucks, I saw it at the drive-in on a double date. Different than the usual WWII movie up 'til that time.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

And you actually ~remember~ it?????

Reply to
The Old Man

snipped-for-privacy@yahooo.com (Gray Ghost) wrote in news:Xns980AC59A6C2C7Wereofftoseethewizrd@216.196.97.136:

OK Play Dirty it is... I will keep an eye, ear and nose out for it. Thx all. Tak

-----------------

- *Completion*Retention*Speed* Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road

-----------------

Reply to
Tak

You shoulda asked last week. It was on US TV. I didn't see the beginning, so I don't know about the jeep episode, but all the other stuff was in there; the attempted rape of the german nurse, winching the vehicles up the hill, the gay arabs stealing watches off the dead, the fuel depot raid, etc.

Reply to
Willshak

"Bruce Probst" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I'm a dope. You're right. I read that somewhere (prolly on the net) and simply assimilated it as fact. Broke my own rule about trusting the net to much.

Thanks!

Reply to
Gray Ghost

it's gotta be true, i read it on the net!

Yeah. Both couples were married and nobody was sharing.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Brings to mind a quote;

I know it's true, oh so true coz I saw it on TV..

John Fogerty.

Rob

Reply to
AussieRob