WWII Movies - the best of the best

I have seen many over the years, B&W, Colorized, Panaramavision, on the big screen and on the tube, and there are only three that stand out for me:
Das Boot Saving Private Ryan Band of Brothers
I liked the latest Perl Harbor for the sound and action, but it didn't muster up to the intense drama and action of the three above. Out of all the WWII movies, I would highly recommend purchasing these three on DVD.

That's a film that would fit perfectly as a double billing with John Belushi starring in "1941"............
Rick Fluke snipped-for-privacy@blackfoot.net

1941... I *knew* I was forgetting to mention one.
-- __________ ____---____ Marco Antonio Checa Funcke \_________D /-/---_----' Santiago de Surco, Lima, Peru _H__/_/ http://machf.tripod.com '-_____|(
remove the "no_me_j." and "sons.of." parts before replying
For the shooting war period leading up to WWII how about "The Sand Pebbles"?
Tom
Reading back thru the thread - - - there's no mention of AUDEY MURPHY!
"Red Badge Of Courage"
"To Hell And Back"
~Rick Fluke snipped-for-privacy@blackfoot.net
I would add "They Were Expendable" as one of the better WWII movies made during the war era.
Jeff
let's not forget a very powerful movie "In Harm's Way" starring John Wayne,Patricia Neal, Kurt Douglas and ,many other stars ...JK

Wasn't that Kirk Douglas? Cheers,
The Keeper (of too much crap)
"Twelve O'Clock High", no doubt about it.
Scott Seders
From: "Scott Seders" snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Twelve O'clock High was, indeed a good one. For many years, that very movie was shown in Air force Officer Candidate School as a stufy in leadership.
"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey
I'll throw some wood on the fire...
"A Bridge Too Far" "The Battle of Britain" "Run Silent, Run Deep" "The Enemy Below"
Recently purchased the ABTF DVD and sat down and watched the whole movie for the first time. I thought it was really good (but depressing) all things considered.
I also vote for TBOB because a rerun of this movie on TV in 1975 started my interest in WW II aircraft.
RSRD is corny but a good naval yarn ("Set course for the Bungo Straits!").
Loved TEB's Robert Mitchum/Kurt Jurgens mental games but the original Star Trek series version was better (and if you know what I'm talking about, you're as geeky as I am ;^) .
Martin
On 20 Apr 2004 14:50:53 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Martin) wrote:

"Balance of Terror" from 1966 with Mark "Sarek" Lenard as the Romulan Commander? :-)
--
John Magne Stubsveen

"I can't think of anything more relaxing than being locked in a moving
OK; it's not a WW-II movie and it wasn't really a war but the premise was to avert a theoretical nuclear war....... how about the cold war "Fail Safe."
"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey
On 21 Apr 2004 01:47:46 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Bill Woodier) wrote:

In that case, add "Doctor Strangelove, or how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb" too. Great footage of the B-52!
-- __________ ____---____ Marco Antonio Checa Funcke \_________D /-/---_----' Santiago de Surco, Lima, Peru _H__/_/ http://machf.tripod.com '-_____|(
remove the "no_me_j." and "sons.of." parts before replying
Marco wrote:

No disagreement about the movie and the B-52 footage ought to be great, it is mostly models.. Gen. Turgeson was my role model for years :-)
Rick MFE
OXMORON1 wrote:

Keeping all your precious bodily fluids safe?
Bill Banaszak, MFE

That was GEN Ripper. Buck Turgeson was screwing his secretary.
KL

avert a theoretical nuclear war.... how about the cold war "Fail Safe.">>

love the bomb" too. Great footage of the B-52!>>
Haven't seen either in more years than I can remember--in which does Slim Pickens take that last very wild ride on the nuke?
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci
Disco asked

Last scenes of Strangelove. Can't figure out how he didn't lose the ht to the windblast :-) Considering the USAF did not cooperate with the movie, they faked the BUFF interior pretty well except for the Nav/EWO areas. Rick MFE

it was a loyal texan hat.