WWII Movies - the best of the best

I have seen many over the years, B&W, Colorized, Panaramavision, on the big screen and on the tube, and there are only three that stand out for me:

Das Boot Saving Private Ryan Band of Brothers

I liked the latest Perl Harbor for the sound and action, but it didn't muster up to the intense drama and action of the three above. Out of all the WWII movies, I would highly recommend purchasing these three on DVD.

Reply to
machone

That's a film that would fit perfectly as a double billing with John Belushi starring in "1941"............

Rick Fluke snipped-for-privacy@blackfoot.net

Reply to
Unamodeler

I would add "They Were Expendable" as one of the better WWII movies made during the war era.

Jeff

Reply to
MAYSUN5961

let's not forget a very powerful movie "In Harm's Way" starring John Wayne,Patricia Neal, Kurt Douglas and ,many other stars ...JK

Reply to
JMKellman2002

Wasn't that Kirk Douglas? Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

1941... I *knew* I was forgetting to mention one.

-- __________ ____---____ Marco Antonio Checa Funcke \_________D /-/---_----' Santiago de Surco, Lima, Peru _H__/_/

'-_____|(

remove the "no_me_j." and "sons.of." parts before replying

Reply to
machf

"Twelve O'Clock High", no doubt about it.

Scott Seders

Reply to
Scott Seders

I'll throw some wood on the fire...

"A Bridge Too Far" "The Battle of Britain" "Run Silent, Run Deep" "The Enemy Below"

Recently purchased the ABTF DVD and sat down and watched the whole movie for the first time. I thought it was really good (but depressing) all things considered.

I also vote for TBOB because a rerun of this movie on TV in 1975 started my interest in WW II aircraft.

RSRD is corny but a good naval yarn ("Set course for the Bungo Straits!").

Loved TEB's Robert Mitchum/Kurt Jurgens mental games but the original Star Trek series version was better (and if you know what I'm talking about, you're as geeky as I am ;^) .

Martin

Reply to
Martin

From: "Scott Seders" snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Twelve O'clock High was, indeed a good one. For many years, that very movie was shown in Air force Officer Candidate School as a stufy in leadership.

"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

For the shooting war period leading up to WWII how about "The Sand Pebbles"?

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

The major problem with "In Harm'sWay" and I believe Kirk Douglas also stated this was the clear decks on the ships. Douglas supposidly complained during the filming that in the views shown, crew would have been evident. Instead the decks are empty. In general the ships seem to be somewhat absent of detail. When I first saw it in the theaters it looked OK - later this becamre more obvious.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

Reading back thru the thread - - - there's no mention of AUDEY MURPHY!

"Red Badge Of Courage"

"To Hell And Back"

~Rick Fluke snipped-for-privacy@blackfoot.net

Reply to
Unamodeler

"Balance of Terror" from 1966 with Mark "Sarek" Lenard as the Romulan Commander? :-)

Reply to
John Magne Stubsveen

"Balance of Terror" from 1966 with Mark "Sarek" Lenard as the Romulan Commander? :-)

Reply to
John Magne Stubsveen

OK; it's not a WW-II movie and it wasn't really a war but the premise was to avert a theoretical nuclear war....... how about the cold war "Fail Safe."

"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

original

talking

Also with Lawrence Montaigne, who like Lenard would make his next appearance in the Trek universe as a Vulcan --> Ston in the episode "Amok Time"

Ex-Geek, though my credentials were not of the Platinum variety as I have never worn or equipped myself with a Trek uniform, hand phaser or Vulcan ears in any way shape or form.

Building the model kits does not count... ABSOLUTELY NOT! No way, no how. That's absolutely normal. Making phaser noises and swooping the kit around might be fair game for a little "shrink rapping" though. ;-)

WmB

WmB

In that case, add "Doctor Strangelove, or how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb" too. Great footage of the B-52!

-- __________ ____---____ Marco Antonio Checa Funcke \_________D /-/---_----' Santiago de Surco, Lima, Peru _H__/_/

'-_____|(

remove the "no_me_j." and "sons.of." parts before replying

Reply to
machf

No disagreement about the movie and the B-52 footage ought to be great, it is mostly models.. Gen. Turgeson was my role model for years :-)

Rick MFE

Reply to
OXMORON1

Just wondering if anyone has mentioned Kelly's Heroes as yet?

Liked D. Sutherland as Oddball who came direct from the 60's in WW2 and the coloured paint hitting the Tiger.

Cheers, Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Leslie