WWII Movies - the best of the best

yeah it probably was. anyone see soldier of orange, or "Soldaat van Oranje?" first movie over here in usa with rutger hauer.

Reply to
jack

You forgot an Edinburgh-born Irishman when he played opposite those leprauchauns for Disney.

The Old Timer

I saw it years ago. Very good movie. A number of memorable scenes come to mind but the finger lottery has to be at the top of the list.

Rutger and his pal are under the sheets with a gal pal. When the question comes up as to who shall go and who shall stay (the unlucky one gets to go on a dangerous mission) she sticks her hand out of the sheets and tells them to take a guess. One of them guesses wrong and she....

Well you'll just have to see the movie now won't you. ;-)

WmB

WmB

Amen... I thought I had been the only one to take that oath.

-- __________ ____---____ Marco Antonio Checa Funcke \_________D /-/---_----' Santiago de Surco, Lima, Peru _H__/_/

'-_____|(

remove the "no_me_j." and "sons.of." parts before replying

Reply to
machf

Lithuanian, actually. I too thought he was supposed to be Belorussian, but the movie was on cable right this afternoon while I was having lunch.

-- __________ ____---____ Marco Antonio Checa Funcke \_________D /-/---_----' Santiago de Surco, Lima, Peru _H__/_/

'-_____|(

remove the "no_me_j." and "sons.of." parts before replying

Reply to
machf

"Darby O'Gill and the Little People."

I loved that movie when I was a kid. Now Justin has it and watches it once a month or so.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

If I could see both without characters and plot I'd be happy to sit through them and let's face it both films would still make sense. And who ever thought about playing DeCaprio against the rather lovely Kate Winslett should be sent out to hit a iceberg. He looks like something that should hanging on her charm bracelet.

Reply to
Les Pickstock

This is so right! The thing with Connery is that he's such a good actor that after the intial 'what??' factor, the Scottishness disappears and he

*is* a Russian sub skipper or a ancient and mythic dragon - whatever. If you've never seen it, have a look at 'Finding Forester'. Connery playing an old and curmudgeonly novelist, very well.

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

Good enough to make a comeback (twice). I didn't list that since Bond was supposed to be Scottish anyway.

Even if we let that pass happily into obscurity, he was an Edinburgh-born Irishman in The Untouchables. I remember watching that and wondering if anyone really thought that sounded like an Irish accent... then I listened to Braveheart and wept...

Oh, and Sean Connery as an Edinburgh-born Robin Hood. Wonderful version.

Wulf

Reply to
Wulf Corbett

You had to remind me. He was also an Edinburgh-born Richard the Lion-Heart in RH: Prince of Thieves. with Kostner.

And although his Robin Hood was filmed years before, it made an excellant, if unintentional sequal to the series that his son did in Robin: the Hooded Man from British TV.

The Old Timer

Or hanging on Billy Zane. Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

Not nearly as bad as Kevin Koster trying to play Robin Hood. He didn't even make an attempt at a British accent. Then, again, I'm sure it wound have been atrocious. I rather liked Rickman as the Sheriff, though.

"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Shame he only appears in his country of origin when politics are the issue.

Jimi

Reply to
Jimi

He played a great baddie in RHPOT.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings.....and call off Christmas."

"You. My room. 10:30 tonight. You. 10:45.....And bring a friend."

IMHO, he made the film watchable.

Jimi

Reply to
Jimi

Just like Tracy Ullman did for "Robin Hood: Men in Tights".

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Something which Cary Elwes had fun with in RH:MIT.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Alan Rickman, notorious scene stealer. He was brilliant in Galaxy Quest. "I see you managed to get your shirt off then"

Reply to
Les Pickstock

*reluctant pedant mode on*

Actually, the character was Latvian. (His nickname was "The Vilnius Schoolmaster".)

*reluctant pedant mode off*
Reply to
Edwin Ross Quantrall

Sheriff: "And what makes you think that the people will listen to you?"

Robin Hood: "Unlike certain *other* Robin Hoods, *I* speak with an

*English* accent!"
Reply to
Edwin Ross Quantrall

Edwin, Edwin, you've moved Wilno, errr, Vilnius completely into another country. Last I checked it was still the capital of Lithuanaia.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak