Re: WWII movies

Did anyone here like "Merrill's Maurauders" with Jeff Chandler or the "Devil's Brigade" with William holden? I saw a movie paired up with "Battle
of Britain" when I went to see it when it premiered in the theatersIt was about the RN X-craft,midget submarines that put mines on the Tirpitz(?).Anybody ever see this one,i can't think of the title.Thanks,Kelly Voyles
I remeber "The Devil's Brigade". What surprised me was that it was based on an actual Canadian-American unit.
I also remember that the character portrayed by William Holden rose to the rank of Major General , and in an incident in San Francisco shortly after the war, he knocked a obnoxious and direspectful cop out cold.
The cop implied the general was a fake and when he threw the general's ID on the floor, calling it a forgery, that proved to be the last straw.

It was in one of the "regular" articles in WWII magazine a few years back.

Just got Bridge at Remagen out of huge pile of cheap DVDs at Walmart for $5.50.
Tom
Submarine X-1 staring James Caan.

"Battle
title.Thanks,Kelly

Had the maker's of the film stuck to the true story, and not had the submarine sinking the fictional "Ludendorff", the film would have been 1000% better.
Nobody has mentioned "Cockleshell Heroes" with Ferrer.
or on the bad movie side
Who can forget "Bombadier" with Randolph Scott.
or On PBS this last weekend "Gung Ho" with Randolph Scott.
No wonder the Statler Brothers sang "Whatever happened to Randolph Scott?"
Next thing you know they'll make a movie about Davy Crockett not going down swinging "Ol Betsy"
Rick MFE

How about "San Demetrio-London" or "Action in the North Atlantic" with Bogart and Raymond Massey
How about "The Cruel Sea"? A good movie about convoy escorts and a Flower Class Corvette
I've just finished Monseratt's book. Now I gotta go get me a Revbox Flower-class... damnit!
RobG

Try the 1/400 L'Arsenal Corvettes, sweet kits. You will of course need the WR Press book on Flower Class Corvettes.
Rob Grinberg wrote:

<squeek!> 1/400th - I'd never be able to see the teeny thing! But thanks for the heads-up - I'll have a look.
RobG

Flower
Go to www.modelwarships.com and look in the gallery, then click modelers and Ron Smith, see my HMCS Snowberry and that's one of the 1/400 kits.
Rob Grinberg wrote:

Ron, Very nice work, indeed. How big (small?) is the little jigger?
RobG

thanks
Thanks Rob. She took first in 1/351 and smaller ships at Region II last year. The hull is 6.25 inches long, small but not quite tiny. The only major "problem" is the rails, they don't have a bottom spurnwater so you have to glue each stanchion down...you could always pick up WEM ot GMM generic rails in 1/400.
Rob Grinberg wrote:

Ron, the L'Arsenal Flower class is about $90 here in Aussie - the same shop sells the Revell 72th for $110... I think I'll get the big'un. :-) Although the question remains - where am I gonna put it! Hang on, I know - right next to the unbuilt 32th A-10, the unbuilt 1/16 AC Cobra, the unbuilt 1/12 Blower Bentley, the unbuilt...
And my local ToysRUs (or Toys RS, as I like to call it) has the 32nd Tamiya F-4J on sale for about $60 - usually around $180; 'snot fair - WAHHH!
RobG
And, being as how I's a complete dunderhead when it comes to shippy-type things; what is a 'spurnwater'? Or is it called something else in the English-speaking parts of the world? :-P

Rob, have you checked into to ordering it right from L'Arsenal? I'm not all that up on Aussie dollars to know how they relate to US dollars. Now once you get the Revell kit, look into DJ Parkins/Flightpath aftermarket sets......LOL
But you really will want the WR Press book on the Flowers.
Rob Grinberg wrote:

Spurnwater is English........it's a lip at the bottom of rail to help channel water to the scuppers so it drains off where they want it to. Not all rails have them but it makes PE rails easier to install.