Alamo

Just returned from seeing "Alamo".

I understand that it has not been successful.

Anybody have opinions (on this group, of all places :-) as to why it has not been a success?

I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially attention to detail and going with eyewitness accounts from both sides as opposed to "legend".

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

It might have been improved had the reason for the Texas war for independence been stated (Santa Anna's suspension of the Mexican Constitution followed by his dictatorship), had the executuion of Fanin's troops been at least mentioned, and the full battle cry at San Jacinto been used ("Rember the Alamo! Rember Goliad!").

The film is also void of any big name actors.

Reply to
Scgmckman

This may well start an all -out flame war, but maybe the timing wasn't the best with the situation in Iraq and all. One of the reasons I think SPR did so well was that we weren't embroiled in an actual conflict and took the time for remembrance.

Just my opinion and no I'm not siding one way or the other regarding the whole issue. Just a commentary on why a given movie may not be doing well.

As a native Texan I'm glad they used eyewitness material and history and not complete legend a la the John Wayne version. Heck the actual storming of the Alamo only took about an hour or a little more, that was it. And they really should have included more of Goliad. It was that massacre that really got the settlers feathers into a huge ruffle and everyone went after the MExican Army from then on.

Reply to
Steve Frost

Latest reports are: 100 million out and ( so far)

9 million in. Movies are cool but the buisness needs better numbers. Did any one ever find or claim Jim Bowie's knife? I know there is a yarn there some where? Mike IPMS
Reply to
Mike Keown

I just returned from the movie also. The movie was boring until the actual siege started. I though only Billy Bob Thornton did a "decent" job. Dennis Quaid should resign from "acting" and spend the rest of his life atoning for his sins... I wouldn't pay to see it again, but since I am a history "freak", I am not sorry I went...-- Bill Brown -o- Marrón el Rojinegro ¡Sí me quieres escribir, ya sabes mi paradero!

Reply to
William M. Brown

I think you've just answered your own question. Maybe if Crockett got up and killed the troops massed in the plaza with his super samarai sword it would have done better business.

Reply to
Tom Cervo

I think my morning radio folks hit the nail on the head with it. The person who saw it enjoyed it, but thought it wouldn't be successful because it didn't concentrate on battles, explosions, and such (and would, unfortunately, bore a majority of today's audiences.) Yep, he essentially said "If it's not successful, blame the audience and their short attention span."

Reply to
EGMcCann

I can see Tom Cruise now.... Or how about Stallone with a really big weapon? ;]

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

It sucked? Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

massmind didn't want to think that hard.

what was wrong with the first one? i like it. when the new one comes to the premium channels, i will check it out. guess i ain't a good texan in rushing out to see it. oh, and today is san jacinto day here in texas.

Reply to
jack