Replace With Copy attn: Arlin Jeff and Dave

This was a thread from Feb 2004 and I finally got a chance to create this macro. I am sure that there are a few bugs to work out but it works pretty sweet.

Problem SW replace feature is lacking the ability to replace a part with an exact copy of itself. Without a hassle of window flopping and directory searching.

Challenge Write a program to mimic the current functionality of the replace feature except replace with copy

Time I hadn't had the time but this week I needed to do exactly this and I was at the end of my pile of work so I delved into it.

Solution

The program has a selection list that will list the components you have selected A new file box that contains the name and path desired for the copy of the part. A browse button for browsing to the desired location Checkboxes for the options I felt like incorporating. and of course your typical action buttons.

The program will create a copy of the first selected component, and replace every selected component with that copy.

I have done minor testing in 2004 and presume it will work without a problem in 2005, but it will need to be edited to work with earlier versions, because of the constants mostly.

If anyone is interested drop me an e-mail snipped-for-privacy@garlErooneousockequip.com remove misspelled erroneous to reply

Corey

Sounds like a challenge to me. >Corey takes out his gloves >slaps Arlin Jeff and Dave on each cheek >and commences with no time frame >Corey >>Jeff N wrote: >>>>Sounds like we should make an ER for 'replace with copy'. > >>This could be a useful feature. I like it. > >>>>Say you have several X parts in the assembly. >>>>You right-click on one of the X parts via the window or feature manager. >>>>Click 'replace with copy' in the menu. >>>>Save as dialog pops up with 'save as copy' checked. >>>>you save the part as Y >>>>It replaces that instance of X automatically with Y, mates intact. >>> >>>>Only issues I can think of are: >>>>If you unchecked 'save as copy' when the save as dialog popped up should it >>>>replace all instances? > >>Yes > >>>>Should the option to uncheck 'save as copy' even be available since you can >>>>replace all instances via opening the part and by doing a 'save as' anyway? >>>>Maybe this would eliminate having to open the part to save it as a new name >>>>to replace all instances. You would simply uncheck 'save as copy', it would >>>>then prompt you "Unchecking 'save as copy' will replace all instances with >>>>the newly saved part name" (or something like that). > >>Yes. I would use this quite often since we use existing assemblies as >>the base for new but slightly different versions all the time. I like >>the idea of creating the new part without having to open the old one first. > >>Dave H > >>> >>>>What do you all think? (I know, I know.. no more "new features" till they >>>>get the existing ones fixed you hypocrite).
Reply to
CS