Central air mystery

My 18 year old York 4 ton compressor went south the other day. Lucky me, one of my techs is a HVAC contractor. He chased prices for a while and then presented me with a compressor replacement, R-22, filter/dryer for about $1100 or a new York condenser unit for the same price. Hmmm, I went for the new unit. It's a quarter the noise and more efficient. But WHY wouldn't just the pump be a lot cheaper?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

R-22 and spare parts are always more expensive than they should be.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Not sure, but the labor is more involved on the compressor change out vs the replacement of the whole unit.

Also, there is a risk of corrosive contamination in the rest of the system after a burnout. That should be remedied in any case.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

He said there was no odor and the oil looked good, but he flushed the system and said he felt good about acids and such not being a problem.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

There are test kits that are more discriminating that the sniff test.

He should braze in a filter/dryer canister in any case.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Yes! He did put a filter dryer in the suction side, about 4" dia x 8" long. A very neat install and then past waxed the sheet metal. I'll be moving in the next year or so...hope it lasts that long.

Reply to
Tom Gardner