CFM

--I'm slowly working out the intricacies of tooting whistles. I've found that they're easy to toot on just a few psi of air from the ass end of a vacuum cleaner; i.e. a HVLP source. But if I attach a whistle to a manifold and use a solenoid valve to turn it on and off I need as much as

80psi to get the same effect from the whistle. This leads me to believe that either the narrow passages in the valve is behaving like a flow restrictor or the narrow passage where an air hose is connected to the manifold is the problem. Can't do anything about the valve but I could add a tee between manifold and valve and add a second or third source of air from the compressor. --Anywayyyy I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's been there, done that. Suggestions welcome.
Reply to
steamer

Your assumptions are correct and this is where it gets expensive. You need a solonoid valve that has a high flow rate. The bigger the horn, the more flow is required. These valves are expensive and hard to find. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

You have a couple of other good suggestions, mine would be to take the output of the valve through a venture to increase flow rate something like the high flow low pressure from the vacuum.

CarlBoyd

Reply to
Carl

Think a simple homebuilt solenoid "ball" type valve. The ball valve can be a chromed shaft with a cross hole fitted into a delrin manifold and rotated 90 degrees on/off by a small solenoid and crank arm. At low pressure, the small leakage from a slightly loose fit won't matter.

Feed the large dia manifold from an accumulator tank, I'd suggest one of the 10 gal portable tanks with a large port like 2" welded in, and fed via the normal port with a regulator set to a few psi. Perhaps measure the PSI from the vacuum to get an idea of how few you need.

Reply to
Pete C.

Maybe the water control solenoid valves off a washing machine?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

--Gonna be running steam eventually and propane too so I like my donated explosion-proof ones..

Reply to
steamer

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Has anyone here ever made DIY spool valves?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Actually-In most large older organ systems they made the large valves from wood and use a leather flap seal-I tried it myself with a hole saw and some wood scraps and used small 1/2 inch stroke solenoids to open them-I used entension springs to hold them shut. You can also make a wood manifold box under them and have a complete, low profile unit. I used 2" holes in mine. You might have to experiment. I havent played with that kinda thing for some time, but it was fun while it lasted......I did run mine from a vac at first.

Mark

ally and propane too so I like my

=EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD : =EF=BF=BDPolitics is a sinkhole for

=BF=BD: =EF=BF=BDpeople without hobbies...

=EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BDwww.nmpproducts.= com

=EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

Reply to
castvee8

This is the key: HV & LP. Which suggests butterfly valves. Easily made to any size & easily controlled.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

You want a "dump" valve. A big passage that opens responsively with little energy of actuation.

This sounds a lot like the throttle on the air intake on an internal combustion engine. How do they solve that problem?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

No, these are pilot-operated servo valves (of ingenious construction). They generally have a pin with a thinner section in the middle. They poke through a small hole in the valve diaphragm. When the pin moves to the other side, it allows water pressure to build up and move the diaphragm. They need a certain amount of pressure (tens of PSI) to operate reliably, and the diaphragm doesn't open very far.

The pipe organ guys use a solenoid-operated pilot valve to admit air to a bellows that operates the big valve. A small double-acting solenoid valve opeating a little Bimba air cylinder that operates a 1/2" (or bigger) ball valve would sure do it. You might be able to get all these parts surplus or eBay.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

--Does this activate fast enough to get a good crisp bark out of a whistle?

Reply to
steamer

You want clever valves?

the 21 inch torpedo tube manual.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Oh, and as mentioned, a butterfly valve may also be a good choice, essentially 1/4 turn also but more flow for a given size. Probably less friction during opening/closing, too.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

I'd expect this relay setup to have a noticeable delay, which is why I suggested a DIY HVLP rotary valve setup directly operated by a solenoid. Since it's low pressure you don't need tight seals and the resulting friction, so the solenoid shouldn't need to be particularly large.

Plenty of solenoid choices here:

Pete C.

If you need to experiment on a tighter budget-Solenoid choice here too-

I have ordered from these folks for years-Good stuff a tad cheaper until you figure out what you need.

Mark

here:

castvee8

Also-found this-Looks pretty much ready to go-

Mark

Reply to
castvee8