Chainsaw redux

Well, I jumped on a Husky from Norwalk Power Equipment Company. A good price with two extra chains. I also got the package deal of case, files, safety helmet, extra scabbards, oil, bar oil, etc, and OF COURSE, a Husky T shirt. I didn't get the chaps, though. It was ordered this afternoon, and is already on the truck. They sent me a tracking number. Pretty fast turnaround.

We leave for the cabin tomorrow AM, so I will not get to use it this weekend. We will be putting out some property markers. Probably take it up there next weekend and try it out. We are attending a show at Southern Utah University where a friend of mine is exhibiting. He knaps for museums, and is an authority on Indian weaponry and techniques. It will be very interesting, and good to see him again.

Thanks to all who made suggestions and who have been teaching me more than I want to know about sharpening.

I got the 345 model 16" bar. I think it will handle what I want to do very easily, and leave me some room in case I want to go after bigger game.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

get the chaps. they get abused by me alot.

laz

Reply to
Laszlo Nemeth

Agreed. I wear chaps even when I'm cutting at waist height on a sawbuck, just to keep the chips out of my steel toed boots. In the woods they have protected my shins mainly from thorns, the splinters on the stump and cut-off branches that snapped free.

jw

Reply to
jim.wilkins

Chaps *are* good protection - however, everytime I put them on, I get the urge to wear my cowboy had and "rassle a few 'em steers". ;-) Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

Sounds like a bunch of Village People wanna be's here

Gunner, ducking and running

Gunner Asch

Just do your family a favor and get your will in order - you never know when you'll go, so you should do that anyway. If you saw without chaps and you get that wee tiny thing they call a femoral artery, you won't have time to sort it out before you bleed out. Naturally, none of you ever have accidents.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Naw kid we all have accidents..The first thing anyone should learn in wood cutting is safety...with or without extra devices. Chaps...hell AFAIAC they just add to the crap that gets into a cut if you get one..and make any movement a lot harder if you really get into the woods, I ain't talking about a golf course or somebodys back yard that needs a dam "landscaper" I'm talking about the WOODS... Femoral artery??...Hell if you get that wee tiny thing called an SUV upside your minivan you could get dead too. I have a totally blind brother in law that saws hardwood tops for firewood, now that's scary!...you ought to see him operate a buzz saw.

Reply to
granpaw

Village People wearing chaps?

I have never seen anyone wearing chaps while cutting wood in MN. I cut a buncha wood today with my sissysaw (14"), but only a little of it was over 13" dia.

August in October today (80's) but windy -- whitecaps on the lake. I fished a little but no bumps; I think the lake has turned over. It doesn't smell like turnover but the wind could mask that; it does look turned. Duck hunters had a tough opener: weather was too nice.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Leg protection is mandatory for all Commercial Fallers or any other commercial operation working in B.C and I bet everywhere else . Most Pros wear what looks like jeans but has the pads built into them . So you might see someone wearing them and not know it . Chaps are fine if adjusted properly . They twist if worn too loose and then don't protect as they should . Really they are there to protect your knees more than anything . Knees being a lot more expensive to fix then a quad . In fact a big saw can go right through them if the throttle is held open . They are designed to snag and slow a saw with the throttle released . For a nice weather day out cutting firewood you can MAYBE get away with out them your entire life , but when its your job and you are out there in bad weather on steep terrain the eventually the odds are you will get tagged . In fact when you wear full protection every day you no longer notice you even have it on . A very common incident the chaps protect you from is the dogs . They are always next to your thigh whether the saw is running or not and moving around on hilly ground sooner or later you slip . Like any safety gear in any field , a nuisance till you need it then it's literally worth your life . Ken Cutt

Reply to
Ken Cutt

Chuckle

Reply to
Gunner Asch

There was a picture of the local Indian tribe putting on their chaps and all to get to cut the trees and brush back due to the storm that ripped through their part of the country. When there are heavy thorn vines and the 3 or 4" long thorn of local trees - up and down the trunks (Honey Locust) - anything is better than pants.

Martin H. Eastburn

I plan on getting a pair to weld with. Chaps with open backs for cooling. Keeps the hot balls out of the boots.

Ken Cutt wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I understand as you get older..that can happen.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

better than pants.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

Not me, man. I'll wear very dark work clothes and be the Key Grip or the Gaffer, but not a performer.

jw

Reply to
jim.wilkins

granpaw

Reply to
granpaw

I can see leather chaps for welding but certaily would not want the typical type chaps used for chainsaws..........most if not all are made out of ballistic nylon and padded with kevlar or some other material that will ball up and jamb in the saws chain. Don;t think either mateiral will go to well with sparks and weld splatters.

Leather >===I plan on getting a pair to weld with. Chaps with open backs for cooling.

Reply to
~Roy

is better than pants.

Reply to
~Roy

I actually thinking of going down to the Farm and Ranch supply and getting real ones. I think they will look better if a customer comes by and will deflect as well as welding ones. Welding ones are normally raw leather.

~Roy wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn