Cheap Metal Lathe

I was wondering why the price was only $100....

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Because it's not a metal lathe. It's a wood lathe, and likely not worth even the asking price.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Denis G.

Primarily because they don't know what they have ("This is a metal lathe..."), and because Chicom wood lathes that size go on sale for around $150 every day. (not that they're built as well... but...)

That Olympus looks like a Sears Craftsman model, and the part number in the vintage machinery link tends to support that.

In addition, I'd have to guess that it was manufactured in the same facility as the Atlas 6x18 lathes -- the tailstock is a a clue.

Does anybody know if Olympus was an Atlas badge for woodworking gear?

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I guess he meant _made_ of metal. Foo, that one. I paid $20 for mine, with two 1/3hp motors. CA 1950.

-- Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It's a Dunlap, Searz old brand.

Olympus was his CAMERA, Lloyd. ;)

-- Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Oh.... Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Hey, whadda ya mean? It's a lathe, it's metal -- it's a metal lathe!

Honestly. If it were a _wood_ lathe it would be made of wood.

:)

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Tim Wescott fired this volley in news:dNmdnXaDZ__zZ6LNnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@web-ster.com:

Like a "wood stove" ???

Just sayin'...

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Tim Wescott fired this volley in news:dNmdnXaDZ__zZ6LNnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@web-ster.com:

And anyway, that would be "if it were a 'wooden' lathe...."

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Firefighters hate those things.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Nice to see someone gets it. ;)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

:-)

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

At least the seller admitts that it was made of cheap metal...

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell