Cheap Metal Lathe

I was wondering why the price was only $100....
http://eugene.craigslist.org/tls/3208013281.html
Jon

Because it's not a metal lathe. It's a wood lathe, and likely not worth even the asking price.
Harold
On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 08:05:50 +0000, Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

Hey, whadda ya mean? It's a lathe, it's metal -- it's a metal lathe!
Honestly. If it were a _wood_ lathe it would be made of wood.
:)

Like a "wood stove" ???
Just sayin'...
LLoyd
On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 20:21:38 -0500, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Firefighters hate those things.
--
Tim Wescott

<<<<<snicker!>>>>>
:-)
Harold

And anyway, that would be "if it were a 'wooden' lathe...."
LLoyd
On 08/30/2012 04:42 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:

Nice to see someone gets it. ;)
Jon
Jon Danniken wrote:

At least the seller admitts that it was made of cheap metal...

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=14492

Primarily because they don't know what they have ("This is a metal lathe..."), and because Chicom wood lathes that size go on sale for around $150 every day. (not that they're built as well... but...)
That Olympus looks like a Sears Craftsman model, and the part number in the vintage machinery link tends to support that.
In addition, I'd have to guess that it was manufactured in the same facility as the Atlas 6x18 lathes -- the tailstock is a a clue.
Does anybody know if Olympus was an Atlas badge for woodworking gear?
LLoyd
On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 06:30:32 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

It's a Dunlap, Searz old brand.

Olympus was his CAMERA, Lloyd. ;)
-- Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu

Oh.... <duh> Lloyd
On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 22:08:22 -0700, Jon Danniken

I guess he meant _made_ of metal. Foo, that one. I paid $20 for mine, with two 1/3hp motors. CA 1950.
-- Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu