Cheap stainless

Folks, I live in the styx. The local steel supplier doesn't carry stainless and I'd like to get a small sheet to make some stuff for a gas grill that is showing its age. #1 - what is a good alloy for direct heat (like the drip shield) and where can I get sheets smaller than 4x8 via parcel post without breaking the bank.

--George

Reply to
George

you might go to a junk yard, scrap dealer and see what they have laying around.. bet it will be a lot cheaper than getting it via mailorder anyplace..... if you are looking for small pieces how about a stainless steel hood vent for parts/pieces or something similar... i was at the alum. can recycling place... about three months ago... guy had a large flat bed truck with loads and loads of aluminum that looked like ladders all about 12 foot long.. he said it came off an oil rig for SHELL, they had it to hold up all their electrical wiring on the rig.. they were replacing it... bet he got pennies on the dollar for it and they, shell, probably paid thousands for this stuff when they had it installed....

Reply to
jim

Hmmm.... good point. I'll give them a call on Monday.

Any thoughts about the alloy I should use? I tried to use some 20 ga steel I had lying around for the drip shield and the stuff rusted to nothing over half a summer.

--George

Reply to
George

Ebay has some really good prices on stainless sheets!

Reply to
Terrence McCann

cruise the rear parking lots of restaurants. often you will see them throwing out large components that are loaded with stainless.

Reply to
Wwj2110

Yarde has great prices on drops if you're spending $75, or can justify the surcharge ($18?) for orders less than $75. McMaster-Carr's prices are higher, but good selection and great service. Type 304 stainless would be fine.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Thank you everyone. I'm going to dig up or buy some 304 stainless.

--George

Reply to
George

Reply to
mark

Don't be surprised if your welcome at the scrap yard is less than warm. Due to insurance regulations, law suits, etc, most scrap yards don't like people poking around the place. Out of the half dozen scrap yards we have here, only one will even talk to me.

-- Bill Browne Excalibur

Claims, Taft-Hartley Fund, & Pensi> >

Reply to
Bill Browne

4 x 8" will never break the bank no matter where you get it from. If however you need 4 x 8', that's another matter.

Abrasha

Abrasha