cheapest place to find insulation

Think this...drywall wont catch fire and burn your entire shop down some night.

OSB will

Any further thoughts?

Gunner

The current Democratic party has lost its ideological basis for existence.

- It is NOT fiscally responsible.

- It is NOT ethically honorable.

- It has started wars based on lies.

- It does not support the well-being of americans - only billionaires.

- It has suppresed constitutional guaranteed liberties.

- It has foisted a liar as president upon America.

- It has violated US national sovereignty in trade treaties.

- It has refused to enforce the national borders.

...It no longer has valid reasons to exist. Lorad474

Reply to
Gunner Asch

If you plan to hang things on the wall in random places and still want the fire resistance of Drywall - Do both. Set all the electrical boxes for a 1" wall, hang 1/2" OSB and then 1/2" drywall. Hang stuff on the finished wall with 1-1/4" coarse drywall screws, and you can stick stuff up anywhere you want and it won't fall down.

They make thinner drywall, but it doesn't carry much of a fire rating, and thinner OSB or Plywood won't be very structural.

Oh, and you get much better shear strength against the building turning into a Parallelogram on you in the next earthquake, and higher resistance to flying debris in a severe storm or tornado - rather important if you happen to be inside said building at the time.

It'll be impossible to make an accidental hole in the wall - just don't get frustrated and try punching the wall with bare knuckles...

Mud and tape is simple enough with paper tape, apply a thin layer of mud (4" blade) that basically fuills the crack between sheets and leave a thin layer on the joint. Then you stick the paper tape to the joint, and go over it again with the 4" knife and a moderate layer of mud. This coats the paper tape and sets it well.

For a garage you can stop there - just lightly sand with a screen pad and a pole sander to knock it flat. Though a second coat of topping mud is still called for if you find big voids and skips. For the house, a second coat is mandatory, then a touch-up and application of texture coat spatter to hide any other minor imperfections.

Once you have a nice flat surface (or at least flat enough for your purposes) a coat of PVA Primer - if you try painting without priming first, the drywall will soak up gallons of paint before it starts building a finish. The primer only soaks down so far and then it stops.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

that seems to

I used plywwod on the bottom and a length of angle on the top, top of V down, push down and cut with utility knife.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

It isn't that hard. Ask around at your Lowes, Home Depot, or other lumber yard if they have seminars. Most of them have DIY sessions that can get you up to speed.

I've only done drywall twice, it looked fine. I bought a book at the Home depot and followed instructions.

Besides, this is a workshop, the standards are a bit lower than in a home.

Wes

Wes

Well you DON'T "have to". If you don't you are no worse off than OSB. you just have a visible joint line.

Mudding and taping is really for looks. And it ISN'T all that hard If you are willing to live with some slightly ugly joints. Texturing can hide a fair amount of that too. But what the heck it is a shop, not a living room.

It is much more resistant to fire too, and will soak up MUCH less paint. I swear OSB can soak up about a gallon a square foot (at least it feels like it) And you would want to paint the OSB, to improve lighting. jk

Reply to
jk