Chop saw laser diode

Hi all

I was thinking of adding a laser line to my chop saw so I am looking for a source for the type of lasers used on chop saws. Wondered if anyone would know of a commercial source. I spoke to Sears and they are asking about $50 US which I thought a tad excessive. I expect that they are just a diode and lens.

Thanks ! Bill

Reply to
Bill Darby

Laser pointer and some glass rod of the same diameter as the beam.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

You can probably use the laser & lens from a cheap laser level like the one I bought from Harbor Freight, less than $20

Reply to
Nick Hull

Thanks Ian

Not really sure how I progress from a glass rod to a line of some length but we'll see how this plays out.

Thanks again Bill

Reply to
Bill Darby

Thanks Nick

Does the lens you have focus the beam such as to project to a line of some length,, like the chop saw??

Bill

Reply to
Bill Darby

A glass rod is a cylindrical lens. If you take a laser pointer with a beam diameter of 5mm, and shine it on a 5mm glass rod, then you will end up with a fan shaped beam, around

5mm wide by some 120 (?) degrees.
Reply to
Ian Stirling

"Ian Stirling" > > Not really sure how I progress from a glass rod to a line of some

Thanks again Ian!!!!!

Reply to
Bill Darby

Reply to
Roy J

"Roy J"

Thanks Roy

I got an email off to "Toolshop" but at the same time I phoned the local Radio Shack and they have them from about $9.00 US So it's pretty much a no brainer when you add shipping.

But again I thank you .

Bill D

Reply to
Bill Darby

Here's a neat one

GMasterman

Last month I bought a laser level with a line generator for $17 from Meyers. The lens flips in and out so you get either a spot or a line. As an accurate tool, I wouldn't trust it for nothing, but it would be pretty useful on a chopsaw since you could actually align the line with the cut. I bought it to canabalize for another laser I'm fixing, but that didn't work out.

I've been thinking of adding one to my saw, but I go back and forth on how useful it would be. I already know how to mark, place and cut to a 64th. I'd have to saw a bunch of scrap to figure out the relationship between the laser, mark and resulting cut. That's probably why you don't really see them on the pro tools.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Amaranth

Yes, there is a removable lens that converts the spot beam into a line, maybe 45 deg span angle. I could measure if you need it.

Reply to
Nick Hull

"Nick Hull" > > > You can probably use the laser & lens from a cheap laser level like

No, that's not necessary Nick, but I appreciate the offer. I'll go on a shopping expedition soon and see just what I can turn up locally.

With thanks Bill

Reply to
Bill Darby

they run their Torpedo Level for $20 pretty regularly. It has a cast body about 5" long x 3/4" wide x 3/4" high, with a 1/4-20 thread tapped into the bottom. I could see that mounted at the back of the saw channel. The lense that makes it a line rotates, so you'd have to fix it at the verticle with a drop of epoxy.

Alternatives include those laser line projectors at HD and everywhere else for $20, but those are larger than the Torpedo Boy. They are the size and shape of a cheap 25-ft tape measure. | |"Nick Hull" > > > You can probably use the laser & lens from a cheap |laser level like |> > the |> > > one I bought from Harbor Freight, less than $20 |> > >

|> > Thanks Nick |> >

|> > Does the lens you have focus the beam such as to project to a line |of |> > some length,, like the chop saw?? |> >

|> > Bill |>

|> Yes, there is a removable lens that converts the spot beam into a |line, |> maybe 45 deg span angle. I could measure if you need it. |>

| |No, that's not necessary Nick, but I appreciate the offer. I'll go on a |shopping expedition soon and see just what I can turn up locally. | |With thanks |Bill | |

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

I think this one's a pretty unique design. It mounts in place of the outer washer on the blade and I assume it draws the line as it spins.

Not any cheaper but maybe it'll give you some ideas. :-)

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

Now that! is way cool. Would work radial arm saws etc etc

Hummm I wonder if they put a warning on the device to not change the batteries with the saw running?

Gunner

"As my father told me long ago, the objective is not to convince someone with your arguments but to provide the arguments with which he later convinces himself." David Friedman

Reply to
Gunner

The URL gets you 90173-1VGA at $49.99, but "Order From Printed Catalog" using 90173-2VGA and it's $39.99

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt