Clausing 5914 - Reeves drive pulley squeaks (resolved)

Things were too clean. A bit of belt dressing on the belt and the noise all stopped. Now I can hear all the other noises.

The belt dressing is Gold Eagle 61498, bought from a local auto parts store.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Your welcome

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Thanks. And I do wish that the prior owners of this lathe had known at least one machine-tool tech. Although it has been educational.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Now you are starting to become one. Makes the next one easier to work on, now that you have started training your brain as to how things work..but WHY they work..or dont....the priniples all being alike

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

All true, at least I hope so.

But I think it would have been more cost-effective and time-effective if I had gotten much cleaner machine from an expensive dealer. I've got to have spent the difference already, and there are still things to fix.

Like the hydraulics - can't quite go to the slowest speed on the reeves drive. Clausing says to take the upper hydraulic cylinder (at the speed control wheel) apart and redo the seals, and I expect that they are right.

On the other hand, even the nice machine from the nice dealer probably will require something. But still.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

And the ugly machine will have more pleasant surprises than disappointments. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

IRRC...they are simple O rings. Its easy to pull apart and check. And to bleed after you put it back together.

Yes, they often do.

I brokered a nice machine for a client a while back, 16x42 Mori Seiki Dro and everything, steady, etc etc

All the dials were in metric. and the metric/english button was busted on the DRO.

$5000

We didnt find out till AFTER it was on the shop floor.

Shrug