Cleaning an HVLP gun

I picked up a used Campbell Hausfeld HV2500 2-stage turbine and HVLP gun, but without manuals.

I've never owned this type of rig and it didn't come with a manual or parts breakdown. I wasn't able to find parts breakdowns or instructions for the gun, and only a very brief description of the turbine at the manufacturer's web site, so I'm flying blind.

I'd like to thoroughly clean the passages of the gun AND its exterior. It's been used with a variety of paints and stains. What's a good / safe way to clean this?

Thanks RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

There are some manuals available, keep looking. I have more experience with the Accu-Spray guns and CapSpray. Some parts have to be soaked, you will probably need the right rebuild kit or at least compatible O-rings, and the air pickup tube usually needs to be replaced. There is a plastic cap under the lid which acts as a one-way valve for the portion of air that slightly pressurizes the cup, that usually gets full of gunk. The alternate way to run an HVLP gun is with a paint hose for material delivery to the gun and use the turbine air only to form the pattern and spray the paint.

Reply to
ATP*

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 20:02:42 -0400, "ATP*"

wrote:

Are those one-way plastic caps generic - that is, could I go to an auto parts store and pick up some of those since they're wear items, or are you pretty much bound to the gun's brand parts? Looks like I'm going to need the washer / seal that goes between the gun & the cup.

So far, brake fluid is softening up the dried paint on the outside of the gun. I have a gallon can of carbeurator dip and soaked the internal metal parts in that - boy that stuff takes paint off quickly. Unfortunately I worked indoors, so the house stank to high heavens.

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

I found a bunch of HVLP pain cup condoms at Harbor Freight last month. .99 a box (of 10?)

Cleaning out that cup is such a messy job, I bought the bunch of them (4 boxes).

Lovin it.

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb

I don't know, it would be nice if they are. Accuspray parts are sometimes stocked at autobody supply houses.

Reply to
ATP*