painting old trailer

Bought an old trailer. What is the best way to paint it. I want it to look nice and hold up but it does not have to be perfect. Thinking of using implement paint at TSC.

One thing I was wondering, I have seen "sandblast kits" for pressure washers. DO these work well and would it be good for what I am wanting to do?

Reply to
stryped

Implement paint will work. Make sure to add some hardener so it is more UV stable and scratch resistant. Also DON'T use the red without hardener. It will turn pink in a year or so without it.

The pressure washer add-ons don't work really well unless it's a professional machine with very high output. I would sandblast it. Then check EVERY weld for cracks and stress. Replace the wiring if it is old. I run conduit down the sides and run wire in that. Then use a good high zinc primer and then top coat it. If you want extra tie downs or anything else add it before you blast off the old paint.

Reply to
Steve W.

How much hardener? How much does it cost to sandblas? I am trying to do this on the cheap.

Reply to
stryped

How much depends on a bunch of factors. They will have a chart on the paint and the hardener that you follow.

Blasting depends on what you want to do. I do my own and haven't priced blasting for a long time. You might want to buy one yourself, they are really handy to have and they are not all that expensive.

Reply to
Steve W.

Wire brush or disc sander to clean up, and apply primer and implement paint with a fan-style HVLP gun. The implement paint dries fast enough you shouldn't have big problems with bugs in the paint.

And if you do, get some 600-grit to 900-grit Wet-Dry, wet-sand out the bug or run, and shoot that area again. Feather out the edges.

People over-think these things, and go for the $10,000 Shine - you just need to keep it from rusting, and not look like rolling crap. If it looks good while you're standing 10 feet back, that's just fine.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I only have a30 gallon 110 volt compresser. Can I even sandblast or run a paint gun with that? I was thinking of brushing on the paint.

Reply to
stryped

Doubtful.

A HVLP will probably have it's own air source, so you will be ok there, but to sandblast you need a "real" air compressor. OR several reserve tanks and let the system charge up and try to keep your duty cycle down. Blasting takes volume more than pressure. Something around 10cfm @ 90psi. You can work with less, but you have to be mindful of the system or your will cook your compressor (BTDT).

Brushing is a good way to go, but spraying it will help you to get the paint into the nooks and crannies a little better.

As pointed out, you dont' need auto finish. You are just looking for a general coat to control the rust and keep it looking "ok". It's going to get scratched right away anyway.

Also, as others mentioned, check the integrity of all of the welds, seams, joints, etc. And validate the wiring.

One option, although more expensive would be some of the POR-15 epoxy products. Makes a nice looking finish, and VERY tough. Chips and scratches will not allow rust to propagate under the finish. Variety of basic colors available. I have used their paints on a few projects and been very impressed. If you spray it, just get an old spray gun for a couple bucks at a garage sale. You will most likely ruin it, unless you are VERY diligent about cleaning it thoroughly and promptly. It brushes very well too.

JW

Reply to
jw

I repeat - *FAN BASED* HVLP gun, has a vacuum cleaner blower inside a case with a big air filter to feed the gun.

You need an honest 5 HP compressor to run a conventional pressure fed spray gun for long periods, and you ain't getting that out of a

120V receptacle. But that HVLP blower can go all day.

Campbell Hausfeld made a nice one, I used it to paint a steel shed when the first coat of primer took forever and looked like (excrement) after applying it with a roller.

If you don't want to buy, look into renting.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

How much are they?