No metal content - Interesting morning

I had a call this morning from one of those prerecorded robots. I started to just hang up, but listened long enough to hear them say something about the Chase fraud unit and a call back number. I started to ignore it, but then stewed about it. I looked up the

800 number on the internet and the responses were running about 50/50 about scam and real. I stewed some more, but decided to call the bank. The first guy I talked to was hard to hear and understand with a bit of swish in his voice (shouldn't have anything to do with it) but said he couldn't help, but would send me to a different person who might. I was really uncomfortable giving him my full card number, but I had initiated the call. The next lady was quite nice, said there was some type of problem, please give her my full number and social security number, ended up saying she would need to forward me to another person. Third lady was great, she wanted all the numbers again, but then asked me where my original SS card was issued - thank God I knew. She asked me about several charges and I could only act stupid until she finally said these charges were in Las Vegas. I had the card in my hand and I sure wasn't in Las Vegas. The first use was in Las Vegas on April 1 for about $9 followed by a dozen others that were each incrementally larger to well over $1000, all of which they accepted. They finally turned down a dinner bill for over a $1000 at the Stratus - must not have fit my history and life style habits!

The card has not been out of my possession. I've not used it on the internet. I paid a doctor visit on March 31. I used it for a motel bill and restaurant in San Marcos, TX about March 21. We are very careful with codes and numbers and my wife even takes the numbers and addresses off the envelopes and trash.

Thank the good Lord, I called. They cancelled all of the strange charges. They cancelled the card. They will be sending a new card in 5-7 days. I went to the bank before they closed today to get a temporary ATM only card which they issued promptly. I asked the pretty young lady about who would end up eating the charges and she said it would probably split between Visa and Chase. What do you suppose this is costing all of us? She said this was not unusual.

If you get a robot call about bank fraud . . .

Reply to
DanG

I got a similar call a couple of months ago. But there was a real person on the phone and they did not ask for Social Security number. It was a company that my credit union employs to look for charges that do not seem normal. They cancelled the card and none of the suspect charges appeared on my next statement. However there were two new charges that I had not made on the next statement and I had to send in a signed and notarized form to protest those charges.

=20 Another Dan

Maybe the crooks are picking on Dan's.

Reply to
dcaster

Was the robot call from the same number on the back of your credit card? I think that I would use only that number to check on the status of my card. I'm planning to get a laptop with caller ID software dedicated to screen all those annoying calls.

Reply to
guillemd

Have you seen those charges on an actual bill? Or are you just taking their word for it that the charges had been made?

Exactly. DonG, go back and reread your post. You called using a phone number they gave you -- so if it were a scam, you weren't really initiating the call in a sense that matters. Was there anywhere in the whole sequence where they gave you any information you have been able to verify? All I'm seeing is you giving them information.

Also, I've never gotten email about possible fraud from any of my credit cards. It's always been a phone call, and the caller was able to provide me enough information to establish who they were.

Call the fraud line number on the back of your card and find out if you've been had. And watch your bill closely for a while.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

No, the number given was not the same as the back of the card. I did not call the number they gave me. I said in my post that I called my bank. Sorry if I did not word that clearly. I did also state that I went to my bank.

Reply to
DanG

Drat -- I realized I'd misread you about five minutes after I posted and sent out a Cancel. Not in time, I guess....

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

That's how someone verifies a credit card number is good. They buy $9 worth of gas.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

Yes. I got a call like this once. Not strangely, it was after a trip to Vegas where I had indeed used the card. Since it was my first visit to Vegas in more than five years, the bank was checking to see if it was really me using it. I assured them it was.

Good call. Nice to know they sometimes look out for you.

-Frank

Reply to
Frank Warner