cleaning old grinding grit

I rebuilt an old surface grinder once, and now I'm rebuilding a 16" chop saw. Both emitted copious streams of grinding swarf, both machines had lots of aluminum castings. I remember struggling mightily to get the surface grinder clean, but this chop saw is much worse. I am sure it's the nature of the sparks, they must be much larger, hotter and "stickier" coming off that 16" wheel at

3450 rpm. At any rate, they're built up in lots of places and I am wondering if there's any sort of magical trick to getting off built-up grinding grit off of aluminum castings.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Best I've found is a chipping hammer, or hammer and chisel.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

Steel shot in the blast cabinet. Use with extra care.

Or simply knock off whats in the way with a hammer and chisel..and use the damned thing.

Or are you pin striping it too?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Pin striping a chop saw? ROTFLMAO!! The goal isn't looks here, it's function. This is a cutoff saw, meaning it has a fixed jaw for doing 90° cuts. It also has the capability of removing the fixed jaw, moving the vise's movable jaw to a different orientation, and using a different fixed jaw surface which is cast into the machine base. There was so much grit packed between the removable fixed jaw and the 45° cast-in feature, there is *no way* you can use it as is.

The main wheel guard is a large aluminum casting. It is *loaded* with grinding grit, packed way up in there. It has to be holding about 20 pounds of the stuff, and it makes lifting it much harder than it should be.

I think I'll look for an extra-long air chisel and use my el cheapo air hammer. Gonna be tough on the old carpal tunnel, but that crap has to come out.

pin stripes .. you gotta be kidding! :-)

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Air-powered Needle Scaler? Start out gently at first, you don't want to wail on it at 90 PSI wide open and crack the casting.

Disclaimer: I've never done it, but it should work. Don't spend money for a new one on my guess, but if you can borrow one I'd try.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

A nice triple wax job when it's all finished will top it off perfectly!

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Got one of those needle descalers? That might work the trick.

Pin stripes..you have read some of the posts here over the years..on how to gold plate an AA lathe..right? I had to ask..and add the

Gunner

Gunner Asch

How about dry ice ?

Thermal expansion (reverse) might pop off the junk. Use eye protection. I see lots of possible solutions - had to pick one off the wall!

Martin [ about to start on my surface grinders (cleaning) ]

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Grant Erw> I rebuilt an old surface grinder once, and now I'm rebuilding a 16" chop

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

But only triple refined Vigin Carnuba wax.

Gunner

Gunner Asch