Cleaning solvent

You might want to check your math on that... Only two of the three compounds that, collectively, make up 45-50% of the product are actually kerosene; therefore, it's certainly less than half kerosene.

Ummm... "Petroleum Base Oil 30-35%" is a bit more than 15%.

Reply to
Doug Miller

The kerosene content is somewhere between 12% and 68%. If you've got something more definitive, please share.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Whoosh!!! :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Exactly -- read the thread. One of the posters makes a regular claim that a huge variety of petroleum products (including paint thinner) are just kerosene; the response was that no, nothing in the paint aisle (i.e. sold as something other that kerosene) is just kerosene under another name or with perfume. Saying they sell kerosene as kerosene isn't a counter-example.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

It isn't necessary to argue percentages to conclude that it's not "kerosene with perfume".

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Same numbers listed under both "aliphatic hydrocarbon" and "LVP [low vapor pressure] aliphatic hydrocarbon" is suggestive of a typo.

Regardless, it's clearly not simply "kerosene with perfume" as previously claimed.

Reply to
T. Rex

Quite so. Richard Kinch claims that WD-40 "is" kerosene. Even if it were

*mostly* kerosene, that wouldn't make it the *same* as kerosene; milk, coffee, tea, wine, and beer are mostly water -- and in every case, the water content is higher than the kerosene content of WD-40 -- but I don't think that even Kinch would argue that they are the same as water.
Reply to
Doug Miller

What he said, good stuff but be sure to turn your head away when you open the can. The vapors will sting your eyes good.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Who cares what I claim? Much less your obsessive distortions.

Ah, the romance of petroleum nomenclature. There will be flames.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Florida freezes too...

Reply to
Pete C.

No, add the 45-50% 64742-47-8 and the 12-18% 64742-47-8 and it is mostly Kerosene. Minimum 57%. Maximum 68%

By my math, even the low end is MOSTLY Kerosene.

Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

That depends on the WD40 - bulk or aerosol are different formulations

- Aero has less oil.

Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

Anyone who cares about accuracy, for starters.

What distortions would those be?

Reply to
Doug Miller

That doesn't mean that the stores here carry exactly the sane thing they do in Texas. Especially after a couple people have walked into big box stores and used petroleum based liquids to set the stores on fire, while they are open.

I disconnected the gas furnace here in 1999 and have only needed small electric heaters a few days a year, since then. I am considering a wood stove for the garage, since there is a several lifetime supply of free firewood near here. That is, if I get back to the point that I can work more than a few minutes at at time without my cane. There are only so many modifications you can make to your machines to accommodate disabilities.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I've used oven cleaner, with sodium hydroxide. Cleans the green stuff off carb parts. I put the parts in a strainer. Spray them white with oven cleaner. Rinse with water, several minutes later. Sounds strange, but worked for me.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Last I checked, kerosene is combustible (has flash point over 100F) not flammable (flash point colder th an 100F).

Acetone, tolune, denatured alcohol. Now, THOSE are flammable.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've used oven cleaner with great success. On many carb and engine parts. Parts in a strainer basket, and then in the laundry tray in the cellar. Sounds strange, but has worked well for me.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Mineral spirits does make a terrific degreaser. It is also excellent as a lamp oil for wick lamps. Very bright flame, and minimal soot. Also very low odor.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Probably an error in the MSDS, as was already pointed out -- same compound listed under two different classes?

In any event, even "mostly kerosene" is different from "is kerosene".

Reply to
Doug Miller

Can you quietly put in a second tank?

Reply to