CNC on the cheap

With a box of Legos you too can mill your own toast.

D Murphy

Very interesting. Especialy following the second URLs first link (got that? :-))

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

snipped-for-privacy@gmx.de (Nick Müller) wrote in news:1h45y6y.wa4duocz0r0kN% snipped-for-privacy@gmx.de:

Yup the "orthoglide". My kid is old enough so that when he was of the Lego age, Legos didn't have electric motors and the like. I wonder how it's programmed?

Reply to
D Murphy

With software? I know this answer is stupid, but what did you want to hear? There was a link (somewhere one the page I mentioned) that describes the math behind it (I didn't read, but I bookmarked the page). This is a software-approach. Make the mechanics simple, stiff and flexible (no contradiction here!). Solve all the other problems (kinematics) with software. No problem at all nowadays.

BTW: Do you have Fischer Technik (in the USA)? The pictures you made would suggest to make the mechanics with Fischer Technik (the ones that make the plastic dovels). It's more like Lego on steroids for us mechanics.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Very funky i love it.

Reply to
nerve912

snipped-for-privacy@gmx.de (Nick Müller) wrote in news:1h46y8g.1fy3bjfn683j2N% snipped-for-privacy@gmx.de:

I was wondering if it was G and M-code type programming or a "Teach in" type like is used on robots, or if it was something else all together.

Reply to
D Murphy

snipped-for-privacy@gmx.de (Nick Müller) wrote in news:1h46y8g.1fy3bjfn683j2N% snipped-for-privacy@gmx.de:

Yes we do but they are hard to find.