Collective wisdom for a desk chair problem?

Hi All,

For years I have been buying cheap ($30) plastic desk-chair-plastic-thingy that go on the carpet to support the casters. I am 145-lb and the chair pro bably another 20, so not a great load at best.

But, the mat always makes divots where I mostly position the chair, not ide al but not a real problem until I want to roll a little to one side or an i nch or so back. The divots are my home and will not let me have my way.

Recently Amazon had a deal on a chair-plastic-thingy that did not give way to divots so splashed the cash. Amazing stuff, but now I have another probl em and are wishing for divots again. The chair no longer stays put in anyon e position. It slowly moves wherever my most frequent movement is toward an d lately that is backwards. So, I find myself eventually typing at stretche d arms length over a five minute period.

I am on the verge of tossing this lovely mat-thingy and going back to a Div ot-Master 5000.

I love the freedom of movement when I want it, but hate the freedom of move ment when I don't. I have thought of stitching some Velcro to my jeans leg and gluing the Velcro other half underneath the desktop. But -- there has t o be a better solution. Yes?

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that

and stiffen them up . It will still roll , but not as easily .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

(after googlinit)

Love the velcro idea. It would give you some exercise, too, getting stuck and unstuck.

==I think the problem may lie in the 4" shag carpeting you have.==

I love the plastic chair mats, and used to buy them until they stopped honoring the lifetime guarantee and doubled the price to $90. Mine would crack at the edge, and I had bought the thicker mat for deeper pile carpet.

If you have a piece of plywood, it would work, or lay some cheap click-together manufactured wood flooring (or indoor-outdoor carpet) on top to make it purty.

Or, if you have decent hardwood flooring beneath the carpet, just cut out a rectangle o' fuzz, pull up the padding, vac 'n wax the floor, and nail down some metal trim to hold the cut carpet edges.

Or splurge on a more expensive mat.

or
or

Or, get out in your shop and make something interesting for transitioning your chair into a =real= mobile device with 8" pneumatic casters which wouldn't even feel the carpet.

Vroom, Vroom!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

And the smell. Ooh, la la!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

ovement when I don't. I have thought of stitching some Velcro to my jeans l eg and gluing the Velcro other half underneath the desktop. But -- there ha s to be a better solution. Yes?

Cat's work too ;-)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Simple solution. Works everytime.

First level your house and then go here:

find the size you like, order, ship, receive, un-box, lay it down.

Done!!

Reply to
ABLE1

Metal working solution - lay a one inch steel plate to cover your maximum range of moves and place your chair on top.

Reply to
Gerry

You can buy soft castor replacements for your chair. That may help if you currently have the hard plastic ones. I finally went to some big 3 inch single wheel soft castors when I came across a deal on them ($1 each). Those hard plastic jobbers really mess up most household types of flooring pretty quick. Pretty happy with these so far. They don't get plugged up with cat hair quite so bad either.

A few examples, don't know if they are worth spit though...

Leon Fisk

Cool, only $350 delivered!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

What do you use to prevent rust, Gerry? Johnson's Paste Wax, Boeshield T9, or 316 Stainless?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Gold plate it?

Reply to