Conflicker Worm

What's it going to be?

Y2K melodrama?

April Fools Day Joke?

Or

The End of the World?

As of 13 February 2009, Microsoft is offering a $250,000 USD reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the individuals behind the creation and/or distribution of Conficker

Reply to
cavelamb

That's Conficker, we'll find out tomorrow. Probably nothing special, more spam mailing viruses. But it would be interesting to see a worldwide meltdown.

Ignoramus8285

Seems like it.

I'm running a smtp server, sshd server, irc server, ect on windows. AFAIKT, this box is still mine.

I remember going into work every day during the y2k thing, sending a message to GM that we are fine for about three days in a row until they sent a message saying, that I didn't need to anymore. They wanted me to report for a lot longer but someone at GM figured out that nothing interesting was happening and decided to let everyone enjoy the holidays.

Talk about hysteria, the seriously broken stuff, was identified and fixes were put in long before Y2K.

Oh well, YAWN,

Wes

Reply to
Wes

What I heard was it has been in the works for years. It was first delivered to 'us' in 2000. It lights up on April 1.

There are variants of it - the maker made a number of them so it would be a mess to track them.

Mart> What's it going to be?

Martin H. Eastburn

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 22:10:14 -0500, the infamous "Martin H. Eastburn" scrawled the following:

As I walked in to get dressed this morning, I heard my computer reboot and thought "This is not good." I wasn't in a lighted room so I don't know if the power fluctuated, but the comp is on a UPS, so power shouldn't have caused the reboot. Internet was out, but a reboot of the modem fixed that.

I'm running Avast and hope I'm covered for Conflicker. We shall see...

LJ--with all appendages crossed.

-- You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you _can_ do something about its width and depth. -- Evan Esar

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Makes it hard to walk that way. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell
22:10:14 -0500, the infamous "Martin H. Eastburn"

computer reboot

room so I don't

power

reboot of

shall

Those Finnish kids were having some fun, again....heh heh ......phil

Phil Kangas

One quick way to test if you are infected:

If the picture look OK, you are probably OK.

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 20:02:56 -0500, the infamous technomaNge scrawled the following:

I was OK and the reboot was a fluke. Well, until I downloaded the newest MS virus, IE8. It didn't quite load properly so my computer wouldn't boot normally for a day and a half. I finally got it to boot, downloaded the entire packet to my computer, and got it to load properly. All appears well now. What a FPITA!

-- You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you _can_ do something about its width and depth. -- Evan Esar

Reply to
Larry Jaques

LAA-AARY! Why you do such dumb shit?

Get thyself to mozilla!

cavelamb

Also try Google Chrome. It is a great browser in very many respects, very fast, secure and robust. I like it and use it from time to time.

Ignoramus9925

On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 00:25:00 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus9925 scrawled the following:

(seen only because Ig quoted it)

I did, very early on. I use_d_ Firefox for most things and IE only for Netflix while their viewer would work only under IE. Now that the new viewer is supported by Firefox, I had moved over until the newest versions of Firefox (from 3.0.7) developed memory leaks, damnear halting my computer if Firefox was left on for more than an hour, with Windows screaming about losing system memory.

I use Forte Agent for news and MS Outleak Express for email. Both are very good at what they do. I think it may be Micro$oft's only good program _ever_!

I'll check it out, Ig.

-- You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you _can_ do something about its width and depth. -- Evan Esar

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Curious, what don't you like about Agent for email?

regards Mark Rand (gave up on Outleak after I looked at an email and it ran a .com file included in said email...) RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I have been using Yahoo Mail for a while now because of their spam trap. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 21:17:55 +0100, the infamous Mark Rand scrawled the following:

I believe that Agent was strictly a news reader when I started using it. I didn't want to have to search two different programs for client mail so I stuck with Outleak, a perfectly good program. Micro$oft's ONLY decent program, IIRC.

-- You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you _can_ do something about its width and depth. -- Evan Esar

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 19:07:15 -0500, the infamous "Phil Kangas" scrawled the following:

Had you set your URL in between GT/LT , it wouldn't have broken like that.

You'd think that with the money they pay these media jerks, they'd at least try to check out stories before they air them, huh? Dan Rather learned that the hard way recently.

Back to the computer:

We had a couple of 1 and 2 second power outages yesterday afternoon, during some high winds. Damn if I didn't find a faulty UPS during them. It had worked fine last week but the comp booted twice in ten minutes when those flickers hit yesterday. I took the UPS off the stereo and moved it to the comp. The only casualty was the load of messages I had just DLed for this newsgroup. 48 turned into 300 when I had to recover deleted messages in Agent. That old UPS was nearly brand new, too. I got it, um, just 15 or so years ago and put a new battery in it just 5 years ago. ;)

Oh, well. Time to go find another one...

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It looks like it's waking up slowly...

cavelamb