Come to Culpeper! Weather's going to be great!

It looks like Mike, Ed and company have been living right; the forecast for central Virginia looks like a classic Indian Summer, just in time for the fall Battle Park launch in Culpeper. Y'all come on down! This is always a wonderful, low-key launch where we can get back to the fun of all this stuff and forget the politics for a while.

Pratt Hobbies will be there, as always; I've never missed this launch since it started in Remington, VA God knows how many years ago. At the second one, I got my Level 1 cert. We will of course offer free use of our GSE to anyone who would like to fire a hybrid motor.

A special treat this year is the presence of Marcus Leech of Propulsion Polymers, all the way down from Canada. (Love those frequent flier miles!) In honor of the occasion we will launch a stretched LOC Magnum with the new ProPoly PentaMAX K350 hybrid. This thing is gonna honk! I'll have some of Marcus' prototype 22mm D, E, F and G hybrids as well; we'll fly at least one of 'em.

For more information hit the Launch Calendar page at

or go to

Don't miss it, this is shaping up to be a fantastic weekend! See y'all on Friday!

Reply to
Doug Pratt

A assume prototype means uncertified. Is this an EX launch or a non NAR/TRA launch?

Bob Kaplow

Nope, it's a NAR launch and I heard another company is going to launch a gasoline/nitrous bipropellant motor.

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

Yes.

An "approved manufacturer"can demo.

There is no "unapproval" process, so I guess I could demoa ssuming I was not removed from the field on sight by the host.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Well, I spoke to soon. The launch was cancelled today. It's rained for about a week, and the farmer couldn't get his crops in on time.

Rats. I was really looking forward to this one.

Reply to
Doug Pratt

Me too, Doug.

I still have the ticket that I can use up to a year from now, so maybe in the spring?

I was really looking forward to meeting people (and turning them all into devoted customers :-) ), and demoing some motors.

Reply to
Marcus Leech

Marcus,

Any time you want to make a sales call to Texas, let me know! There is an organized launch almost every weekend and at least >> Well, I spoke to soon. The launch was cancelled today. It's rained for

Reply to
Alex Mericas

Has this been approved by NAR S&T???

Bob Kaplow

After the NARAM-38 incident, there are some very formal procedures for such a demo flight. It requires written approval from S&T and (either, not sure which) NAR BOT or Prez approval. Along with the local RSO.

Bob Kaplow

NO!

Requires advanced written permission. See previous post.

Bob Kaplow

Likewise. They usually do a launch in the April/May time frame.

Will you be driving down for LDRS in Geneseo? We need to start making plans for it now!

Reply to
Doug Pratt

That's the plan.

I'm planning to provide the propulsion system for Mark Simpsons contraption for LDRS next year.

I built the 17-port injector for it in the shop the other night. It's looking *kewl*, despite my having drilled it with a paper template and the drill press, rather than the divider head on the milling machine (mill was in use).

Reply to
Marcus Leech

Nothing is too good for an oddroc :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Battle Park is sponsored by Tripoli Central and Eastern Virginia. Of course, all are welcome. ....Ed

....Ed

Marcus, you should use your ticket to come to an MDRA launch on Maryland's Eastern Shore. It's another of Doug Pratt's regular fields, they happen every month, have many of the same faces you would have seen at Culpeper (as well more of the NY, NJ, & New England flyers than you'd see at Culpeper), generally considered among the biggest & best fields on the East Coast, and doesn't have the hills, high grass, or cows that Culpeper does. So, "come on down!" -- Richard "& I'm usually there" Hickok

BTW The next MDRA launch is next weekend Nov 8 & 9. So if your schedule allows, check the extended weather forecast, & get your ticket.

Rhhickok

Thanks for the invite, Richard.

Unfortunately, I'll be heading to Minneapolis for work that weekend, followed by an excursion to Albuquerque on the Tuesday until Sunday (again for work).

But I'll keep the MDRA launches in mind, for sure. December is still semi-open (modulo more IEEE 802 interim meetings in December).

Reply to
Marcus Leech