Control xfmr heats up to appx 120 degrees

The control transformer in my mill, heats up to about 120 degrees F, is that normal or not?

Ignoramus9618

What's the ambient temperature? I suspect it's well within the allowable temperature rise for a dry transformer. Presumably you have measured the voltages and currents to ensure everything is within spec there?

Reply to
Pete C.

Ignoramus9618 fired this volley in news:deudnX6bk6I4D__RnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Decently made dry transformers were usually rated at a maximum 40C rise above ambient. On your vintage of machine, I'd assume that item was a piece of well-engineered iron, and not one of the copper and iron starved transformers coming out of Mexico and Taiwan today.

So, it could reasonbly run 104F higher than ambient without harm.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Ayup. Its in a closed box with a bunch of other shit, right?

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray; a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all. A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children. A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station; an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted." Bobby XD9

Reply to
Gunner Asch

yes

It is not closed right now, but it will eventually be closed.

Ignoramus9618

Had to convert it to metric to understand, but......

The old rule is "If its too hot to touch, its too hot" - yours should be OK.

But but but but........check that there are no electrolytic capacitors nearby, lifespan is severely degraded by higher temperatures. And if their rated at 85 degrees C, then upgrade to 105 degree C types.

(this falls under the title of "maintenance" which, as is well known, everyone does with great attention to time and detail...not) hi hi

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

Thats why cats and other critters sleep on top of TVs, radios, machinery and other warm Stuff.

Transformers (and in the old days...tubes) making it nice and toasty for them to nap

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray; a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all. A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children. A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station; an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted." Bobby XD9

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Yes.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

Yep.

If the rated temp. rise for the transformer is 40 degrees C, right around now an acceptable F temp. would be about 184. You're still 60+ below any time-to-worry-about-it temp.:)

Reply to
John Husvar

40C rise is 72F rise. The 32 degree offset does not apply to differences of temperature.

Nitpicking - it's what I do, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Oops!

Reply to
John Husvar

Wow, that is running cool in this weather. Don't worry about it. Trust me. Toss an amp meter on input to see loading if you are really worried. I'm sure you have scored an amp clamp by now.

Wes

Wes

As others have noted, that's within the temperature specs for most transformers. However, I would find out why it's that warm. It may be a warning.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

I think that it is within reason.

You could mount a Rotron muffin fan directed at it to cool it a bit if you are worried.

But what, specifically, are you calling the "control transformer"? Is that the one powering all the relays and such? I presume that you have measured the current being drawn, and compared it to the specs? Is this one of the original transformers from the machine, or is it one which you added in building your own supplies?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I measured it, actually the number is 140 degrees F.

Slightly more disconcerting.

Ambient is appx. 85.

That's a 30C rise.

Ignoramus9618

Dont sweat it. You are fine.

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray; a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all. A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children. A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station; an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted." Bobby XD9

Reply to
Gunner Asch

OK.. Thanks

Reply to
Ignoramus22661

Still within reason I believe.

What kind of load do you have on it -- and what are the ratings?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Nothing much, the PPMC control box and the main power contactor.

Ignoramus22661