Cool things to do with pneumatic cylinders?

I built a battlebot a few years back, before Robot Wars became totally lame in the UK. I think I've probably exhausted my enthusiasm for that one, at least for now, but the cylinders can always be added to my parts store for later!

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Presumably 10 million cycles is the liftime of the seals, and the seals can be replaced? Just curious.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Some air cylinders are rebuildable, some not. In practice, small cylinders, even the rebuildable units, are usually tossed and replaced with a new cylinder. In an industrial setting the cost of down time and a mechanic's labor generally make repairs to small cylinders uneconomical.

See the cylinders at the top left of this page for an example of nonrepairable cylinders. The NFPA and various flat cylinders on the page can be rebuilt.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Thanks for the link. Those cylinders are much smaller than mine and look like they might have ends which are crimped on. Mine have four socket head bolts around each end and a circlip around the shaft seal, so I guess they're rebuildable, which is good.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy