Copyrights

Hi all, I just picked up this book "patternmaking" put out by the industrial press in NY copyright 1920 and its an amazing book. My question is could this be scanned and shared? I'm not sure about copyright laws but 1920 is pretty old.

Thanks for any info.

Reply to
rickj123456789

In the US, any work published *here* before 1923 is now in the public domain:

I don't know of any exceptions and the Cornell law site doesn't say there are any. But I'm not a lawyer. And watch out for books also published abroad. Protection for them can go back to 1919. That will be on the copyright page.

BTW, I have _Wood Pattern Making_, Hanley, 1922. It would be interesting to see how they compare, but my scanner is on its last legs (HP-IIC).

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Ill put a link here when I get it pdf'd.

Reply to
rickj123456789
25 years after the Authors death?

Or is that the musician in me talking?

I could dig that stuff up but its too late for my bra>

Reply to
Brent Philion

Take a look at the Cornell Law site I posted the link to, Brent. It's a good summary.

The law is pretty complex these days. When I first studied it, it was short enough that I could remember it.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Check the local Goodwill etc. Scanners show up there daily..most of them are brand new, or near new and cost $5. Of the last 12 or so scanners Ive bought for some of the low income locals I build computers for..only one (1) had an issue.

Seems folks get em with a computer package..have no use for them..get tired of losing the table space..and donate em.

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

If you have a publisher name it would be worth checking with them. Copyrights can be renewed or there might be a later version.

Reply to
marks542004

Yup, I emailed the publisher. Waiting.

Reply to
rickj123456789

Nice web site.

I have some old American Machinist magazines. Always wondered if I could scan and post stuff from them. Do you know if they have renewed the copy rights on the post 1923 issues?

Thanks,

Reply to
Vince Iorio

That's interesting, and I guess it stands to reason. Actually, there is a new scanner in the house, but it's attached to my son's computer, and getting at it is like trying to elbow your way into a 2-for-1 sale at Macy's.

I need a whole new system, and I just keep debating what to get. I bought a

3.2 GHz machine for my wife a few months ago. If I beg really nice, I can get at one or the other of the decent machines in the house.

BTW, I'm coming to you on a 180 MHz Pentium, ca. 1994, and that's with the hot chip in it.

It's on its third hard drive and maybe its sixth keyboard.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I don't know, Vince. American Machinist is now owned by Penton Publications. If you drop an e-mail to the editor and tell them what you want to do, he may well give you the go-ahead. It's actually the publisher's call, but editors are better at answering.

-- Ed Huntress (a long-ago editor at American Machinist)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I guess Ill have to fire up the Commode 64..I can actually acess google with it..but IRRC..Earthlink wont let me connect via 300 baud modem anymore.

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

You should have bought the computer you wanted when you bought hers. At this point, you can offer to buy her another, and take her "old" one. I think they still sell celerys and ram sticks below 1GB.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.