Cost of Materials

Is there a site to go to that displays the cost per pound of various machinable metals?

I am about to pick up some 304 stainless steel, at $6.00 for each 1/4 "x 4" x 4" plate and wanted see if this is considered a normal price.

(Also, reommendations for used tools(lathes, drill presses, ect.) in the New York area would be appreciated). :-)

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

Check out part# 8992K493 @ McMaster.com

You'd need to cut it yourself into 4x4 squares, if that's what you're after.

If you're looking for cheapest metals, pay a a visit to a few machine shops in the area, they all have shelves filled with scraps.

Reply to
rashid111

Thanks a lot.

I'm still trying to figure out how to navigate that site.

While I'm at it, I'll also be getting 3"x 3" disks, and also 3/8" diameter rods. Al three shapesl in 304(or preferrably 316) stainless steel.

Thanks again.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

You could try here also -

Stephen Young

Check your local scrap yards, find one that doesn't mind selling small amounts. Stainless can be had quite cheaply, usually about 25 cents per pound. For machine tools, there are plenty of auctions in the NY Metro area, check the Sunday NY Times classified, also craigslist tools section.

Reply to
ATP*

We sell 1/4" 304L for $4.00/lb. for smaller quantities down to $2.50/lb. for lots over 30#. Shearing is $75.00/hr with a .1 hr min. We pay about $1.40 /lb in full sheet quantities. Bar is generally more expensive thens heet. Leigh at MarMachine

Reply to
CATRUCKMAN

Thanks everyone.

One weird thing is that I cannoty for some reason get to that part#

8992K493 @ McMaster.com "rashid111" mentioned.

If I put that part number into the search function it comes up, but if I try to navigate to it by going through the options, I cannot get that same part/page.

It has me wondering what I'm missing. And that is why I said I'm still trying to navigate that site.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

Try another browser. I have to use Internet Exploder instead of FireFox on some sites.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 05:00:32 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Mark Jerde" quickly quoth:

I got the same thing in FF 1.0.7. I downloaded 1.5 yesterday. Maybe it's time to install it. Anyway, IE solved the problem for me on the McMaster site.

But you're right, Mark. If you have trouble with a site, go to another browser. Suggestion: go to the Mozilla site and download IEtab. It allows you to automatically shift to IE if you experience problems with M$-only-centric sites. I had to do that with my bank sites. (IE-only bank sites? Scary, wot?)

what you can avoid altogether. | Dynamic Website Applications

Larry Jaques

I checked last Sunday's papers(S.I. Advance, Daily News, and N.Y. Times), but there wasn't anything to be seen. Actually, since my work hours are during the week, and not flexible, I would be able to make it to a machine auction anyway, unless it it held on the weekend. :-(

As for scrap metals, I think I'll probably stick with the new stuff, so I'll know what I'm getting.