countersinking

For accurate countersinking you need the proper countersinking bit and a tool that can be adjusted for the proper depth of cut. Since countersinking is very common with various aircraft parts, aviation machinists commonly use the tools shown in this catalog to precisely control the depth of the cutting bit.

P D Fritz

| For accurate countersinking you need the proper countersinking bit and a | tool that can be adjusted for the proper depth of cut. Since countersinking | is very common with various aircraft parts, aviation machinists commonly use | the tools shown in this catalog to precisely control the depth of the | cutting bit. | |

Various countersinking bits here:

P D Fritz

Yes -- I have a couple of those beasties with 1/4" shanks. One with the flange type skirt, and one with a flange type skirt which is cut off on one side to allow working close to a shoulder.

And -- the countersinks are often equipped with properly sized pilots too -- to keep them on center.

What the catalog does *not* show (though it mentions) is the wonderful quality thrust bearing to stop the feed at the preset depth. I gather from the catalog that some are bronze bearings, but mine are all full ball bearing.

I would use one where multiple holes need to be countersunk to the same depth, but usually not for a single countersink hole, unless getting the screw flush with the surface of the workpiece were important enough to take the time to set it up properly.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

These things are great, but if you look closely, Magnavon's are ALL 100 degree cutters. It's actually hard to find off-the-shelf 82 degree cutters with pilot diameters sized to fit the standard clearance drills for common machine screw sizes. Most palces will make them up special order, but they get pricey. I've got several microstop cages courtesy of Ebay, and I'm going to order several 82 degree cutters that take interchangeable pilots. That way if a cutter gets dull or damaged, I can keep one spare for all the different screw sizes.

One tidbit I've been looking for is the recommended clearance between the pilot & the hole. The Magnavon info recommends 2 thou, which is just the piece of info I needed. Thanks!

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Looks like they changed the catalog...I used to be in it.

They are one of my clients, thats where my Abene came from.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate The more you present a leftist with factual evidence that is counter to his preconceived world view and the more difficult it becomes for him to refute it without losing face the chance of him calling you a racist, bigot, homophobe approaches infinity.

This is despite the thread you are in having not mentioned race or sexual preference in any way that is relevant to the subject." Grey Ghost

Reply to
Gunner Asch

They moved from Placentia to San Juan Capistrano in the 3rd quarter of last year.