Crazed idea

Guys, I picked up over a dozen golf clubs that were pretty beat up at a garage sale on a whim for $2.50. After some Naval Jelly and wire brushing,around 8 look great and others need a bit more help.

At any rate, it got me to thinking. What options do I have to replate/paint/finish steel clubs or tarnished aluminum? Possibilities that I have thought of are:

- Epoxy paint (on some already as an experiment)

- Sand/brush/sandblast and clear coat with a thin coat of polyurethane (Did this to three - but I used a thin coat of acrylic as I didn't have any polyurethane on the shelf at the moment)

- Chrome (I've heard it's real toxic and something you don't want to do at home, which is where I am).

I'm after some mix of looks and life of the finish but am open to color. For example, what about parkerizing?

Yes, I am nuts for even bothering, but it has spurred my interest. If things go good, I may buy another trash set or two and experiment some more.

Other than the "Yes, I am nuts part", do people have any suggestions?

--George

Reply to
George

How about powdercoating? Lots of colors to choose from.

-- Gary Brady Austin, TX

Gary Brady

That's an interesting idea & one I hadn't considered. In general, I've been holding off getting into power coating due to the initial investment on the applicator and oven. It's definitely something to look into though - thank you Gary.

--George

Reply to
George

You can defer the real oven investment by making a suitable oven just for your current shaft project out of a piece of pipe and some heat... So there, I have just reduced your investment to the Harbor Freight gun...

Reply to
Emmo

Reply to
George

Chrome is nasty but nickel is benign and easy enough to do at home. Best rust and corrosion protection will be had by plating copper first, then nickel. That usually also provides a brighter finish because copper is easy to buff to a mirror finish.

Caswell offers many metal finishing options that can be done at home, including powder coat, plating, and anodizing of aluminum.

Their stuff isn't cheap, but it works well.

Reply to
Don Foreman