Cummins V504C leaks a lot of oil from transmission end at high RPM

I have an old Grove RT60S crane with a Cummins V8 engine V504C.

Unfortunately, at high RPM (set with throttle) the engine starts leaking copious amount of oil somewhere from the transmission side.

Now sure what causes the leak, we power washed the top and it is not from the top, and it is hard to see on the bottom.

Any ideas what it might be?

Thanks

Reply to
Ignoramus26343

Are you just hoping for an answer other than the rear main seal?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

It could be a lot of things besides rear main seal.

Ignoramus657

But the rear main seal is still the most likely place . There are other possibilities , are there any oil lines in that area ? A cracked fitting could open up under higher oil pressure .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Is there any place in the oil lines where you can add a known good oil pressure gauge? I suspect the the pressure regulator in the oil pump is stuck closed, so excess pressure can be bypassed back to the sump.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

I sincerely hope you find something else, something simple and cheap!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I think so. How about an oil passage plug leaking?

-

This just in:

-

I have a sunburn on my chest today. 'Tis good that I had only a little bit of TIGgin' to do, as it went right through my shirt. Methinks I'll be wearing the leather apron next time, despite the heat.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

We spent some time investigating today.

One place that was leaking was in the oil pan gasket.

Also the air compressor in front.

I also noticed, but did not investigate, that the reported oil pressure was kind of high. I am purposely not posting numbers, as I first want to ascertain what is going on.

Ignoramus657

HaHa!

"Sorry, can't talk about that" will be my reply next time somebody asks me about a pressure reading.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Sorry. I forgot the numbers and did not want to guess. It goes up to

100 PSI, the top of the gauge, so it may be even more. I looked today. Not sure if I can trust the gauge. i
Reply to
Ignoramus22485

By the way, I just came across an advert selling a rebuilt V504C... for $10,000 :-)

Reply to
John B.

My best guage experience was one that was attached to some small crappy compressor that vibrated so bad the hand actually broke off. The counterweight part of the aluminum stamping was still there on the small shaft- just the pointing part broke right off.

Oh, and the guage was new and broke in a matter of minutes.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader