Cutting Speed derivation

Presumably by tests. One factor is the temperature generated by the work. Since (on a lathe) it is a single point on the HSS tool, and a large area on the workpiece, heat tends to affect the tool more than the workpiece. So -- you determine what FPS (with which depth of cut) you can use without rising the temperature of the tool to a point which weakens it. Carbon steel loses its temper with relatively little heating. HSS can tolerate a lot more heat.

Other factors exist, such as whether the machine has enough horsepower to remove that much metal in that period of time, of course.

Note that there is not a magic speed above which everything falls apart and below which things are just fine. There is a range, and the published speeds are tailored for *production* work -- where it is cheaper to burn out the cutters a bit faster, just to get more work done in a given period of time.

For a hobbist, there is usually not the critical time element, and the savings of not having to purchase as many tool bits may make it worthwhile to run somewhat below the recommended speeds.

It is also possible to take too *light* a cut (at just about any speed). There is wear from the cutting, and a deeper cut means that there are fewer passes down the length of the workpiece, so you get more runs out of the tool before it needs resharpening or replacing.

To get *all* the answers probably would take a two or three volume book, but this is a start, at least.

Time for others to toss in their opinions now. (Nobody else had from the viewpoint of my news server when I started this response.)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

The horizontals also suffer from the enormous lifting power of the cutter. Move to fast at the start and it'll flip the piece right out of the vise.

You have to feed like molasses until the cutter is fully bedded in the work. That makes it hard to just set an optimum feed and switch it on.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Agreed, and in keeping with that, they tend to knock like crazy until there's at least one tooth always in contact with the cut, which prevents the loading and unloading of the cutter. The soft start (molasses start) has its place.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

A city wide blackout at Sun, 28 Dec 2003 17:37:44 GMT did not prevent Anthony from posting to rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Right. "What he said."

Which is one reason to say that there is no "magic" Cutting Speed (be it in feet per minute or meters per second or furlongs per fortnight). I use the CS as a comparator: the CS for this stuff with HSS tools is some ratio of 1040 steel, and then you can multiply it by factors for the actual type of tool bit, add in fudge factors for tool geometry, coolant, shoe size and the weather forecast for the weekend vs the amount of time available before the end of shift, to arrive at your settings: "Run it wide open and bury that sucker!"

Company I know of supposedly keeps cranking up the RPM and DOC until something breaks, then backs off a bit. But they are roughing out Large Gears.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

pyotr filipivich wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Hehe...we do that, well..sorta..don't play with DOC much, but we really crank on the feedrates.. we don't back it off much after it breaks either. Our adage goes: Crank it up until either 1) quality suffers, or 2) something breaks.

Reply to
Anthony

LOL. Toolmaking is full of one-offs. How much does it cost to run a million dollar CNC gantry mill for and extra hour or two? (both directly and in opportunity cost of not being able to run the next program) How about smoking an indexable milling cutter with tens of inserts? (and what happens to the die it's machining when the inserts are gone?)

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

Speaking of roughing out gears, I heard of a gear shop that made gears for large machines like ship engines (like 6' in diameter). Apparently they messed one up (probably the night shift....) so they put in on the mill and turned it into chips for the rest of the shift to get rid of the evidence...

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

Wouldn't it be the shear strength of the material?

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

Never thought of that... At the gear shop I worked at they just threw the scrap up onto the roof. Or under a machine, or on top, or behind, or in the coolant sump...... Of course they also had fun stuff like a

25% scrap rate on one family of parts. :)

Chris There are only 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Reply to
Chris Cox

There are only 11 kinds of people in the world; those who understand unary, and those who don't.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

There are only = kinds of people in the world; those who understand Chinese and those who don't.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Hey Robin,

Rumour has it that there are a couple of 4-6-2 locomotive frames in the St. Lawrence. From MLW, when a night shift would screw up something awful.

Take care.

Happy New Year.

Brian Laws>>

Reply to
Brian Lawson

You can get a nice appreciation of the relationships among tool type, tool diameter, workpiece material, etc. by using my free machining calculator.

At

or

search for "ME Consultant"

Reply to