DD 3-53 questions

Or even just rewrite it to bash. :-)

Reply to
Steve Ackman

I use mogrify from ImageMagick to do conversions from a wifi cam that has an "off" color balance. Same as convert except it replaces the raw image with the processed one rather than keeping both.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

OK, great, thanks. I am messing with it right now.

Which way is the shutoff open and which way it is closed? I tried and it is not immediately obvious, at least while cranking.

I finally welded on a 2" pipe to some exhaust diameter reducing adapter and tried to run it.

The engine ROOARREEED and it was scary, usually it would just shut down. This time it would not. I was very scared and pulled emergency shutoff. I know that I should not do it, but I had to.

Ignoramus25553

Snipped

First of all I'd strongly recommend that you do not mess with the governor unless you do know what you are doing. Seriously, this can cause a run away engine if not correctly adjusted.

Basically it is not that complicated. You adjust the big spring to set max RPM and there should be a buffer spring that you can adjust to set a stable idle. However, nothing much happens until the engine starts and then, as the engine comes up to operating RPM it just doesn't stop until the loud noise occurs. And, I can't quote you the actual RPM but I can say that the first time I started a little 53 engine it scared hell out of me and I too pulled the emergence. The engines accelerate very quickly.

With the engine off take the valve cover off and see where the injector racks are. Then move the governor against the large spring and you will see the injector racks move toward the full fuel position. Obviously toward low fuel is reducing RPM and if you twist the shut-off lever then it should move the racks to the full low fuel position.

The valves are set with a feeler gauge and the injectors set with an injector gauge. There are at least two different injector gauges, which is one of the reasons to have a manual.

Cheers,

John D. Slocomb (jdslocombatgmail)

Reply to
J. D. Slocomb

Snipped.

While pulling the inlet damper (emergency shut down) release is usually thought to be a poor way to shut down the engine it is certainly a far better solution then letting the engine destroy itself at some unknown over speed which is often the other choice :-)

As I said in another post - take the valve cover of and see how the governor controls the rod that operates the injector racks - you can do that without running the engine if the cover is off the governor.

Cheers,

John D. Slocomb (jdslocombatgmail)

Reply to
J. D. Slocomb