dead blow hammer

ever wonder what the inside of a dead blow hammer looks like? i have. now i know.

was whacking on the step pulley to see if i could break it loose and was astonished when this dead blow hammer disintegrated. wasn't hitting the pulley particularly hard, i figure the plastic must've gotten tired. wasn't particularly cold in my shop either, 39 degrees F.

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon

I've got one that looks just like that, Grizzley as I recall. I have discarded the little orange pieces, I think. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

"William Wixon" wrote: (clip) i know. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I don't think you are REALLY inside yet. If you shake it what do you feel? I think the metal can is full of shot.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I think you should contact David Schoen, lawyer to those idiot daughters of the idiot mom who deep fried herself with hairspray as mentioned here in a thread a few daze ago.

I think you should ask for at least a mil for the mental anguish you're suffering from the loss of a beloved tool.

Happy Holidays,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

LOL Jeff!! i was gonna say "..and i contacted my lawyer and we're suing for 3 million for my mental anguish" but was afraid someone would take me seriously and i'd be a pariah on this list forever. (thanks for the suggestion, i'll cut you in on the settlement)

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon

Next blow hammer should be from PB (Swiss). Really nice!

Expensive but worth it's money. Replaceable (different) caps, lead shot inside the steel barrel. Hickory handle. A hammer is not a hammer is a hammer or not, or so. Regarding the differences you can get (and got).

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Too bad Johnny Cochran is no longer with us: I can hear him chanting "If it went to bits you must'a hit!"

Happy New Year!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Schwab

I've got a 25 year old snapon that look just like that, wacked a break drum with it and it ended up in a pile on the floor.

Reply to
Jim Geib

For some reason the plastic breaks down. Had an old green dead blow from snap-on. Turned black and fell apart. Snap-on man said we don't sell black ones and I said I know. Was made by Compothane. Little persuading and he warranted it.

Reply to
Mike

According to William Wixon :

Hmm ... did you try removing the end caps from the cylinder? I suspect that it is filled with lead shot.

Better luck with your next one. DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

It looks just like one of mine that recently failed the same way. If William's lasted as long as mine, >25 years, I'd say his luck was pretty good with *that* one. I'm pretty sure it's just a case of the urethane getting brittle over time. Mine started chipping a couple years ago, then started to split, then fell completely apart. I've been carrying it around in my truck hoping to run across a Snap-On truck, but probably won't have the nerve to actually ask for a replacement when the chance comes.

A Proto of the same vintage (looks just like a Nupla) is good as new.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Bull! Ask, they should replace it no questions. Thats one of the reasons reasons you pay such big bucks for their stuff.

BTW, the original posters busted hammer kind of looks like a $nap On to me.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

-snip-

yeah, my next step is taking it apart further. "... you must'a hit." lol :-) this was a Snap-On hammer. kinda embarrassing though how i got it. i stole it from Home Depot (i'm kidding). driving down a busy street one day (was so long ago i can't remember where, maybe NYC) and saw it lying on the center painted lines, i can't remember now if it even maybe was lying directly under a traffic signal in the middle of an intersection. i turned around, pulled up to it, stopped in the middle of a busy road, opened my door, reached down, GOT IT and drove away. (i did feel bad for the guy who lost it though.) had been HEAVILY used though even when i got it. that was at least 10 maybe 15 years ago, no telling how long the other guy had it. i think the plastic just got old/brittle. i was surprised how much Snap-On is asking for this hammer now, over $40, wow. at their website it says something about a new upgraded urethane. (the kid in me) wants to open up the cylinder just to see what's inside. i thought this was a great hammer, high quality stuff, from this one i'd say Snap-On makes pretty good dead blow hammers. funny what you wrote Ned about not having the nerve to ask for a replacement. didn't know Snap-On did that. hope you can get a new hammer. always liked the heft and feel of this one.

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon

I got a nice Spyderco knife that way. Karl

Reply to
everyman

I had a Mac brand dead blow hammer that died like that and they gave me a new one with out asking any questions. Mine was probably at least

20 years old. GD

William Wix> ever wonder what the inside of a dead blow hammer looks like? i have. now > i know.

Reply to
GD

Now I know why you called it a "break" drum. It broke your hammer.

Jeff (Ducking and running...)

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Reply to
Stephen Young

I bought a toolbox at an auction once, that had apparently been through a fire or something. In the corner, melted into the metal tool box, was a Craftsman stubby philips screwdriver. The markings were on the side that wasn't melted into oblivion (and a few washers and bolts that had been in there as well). Wasn't a problem, turned it in for a brand new one at sears. The old-timer at the counter said "That's one for the break-room wall" when he saw it...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

For G-d's sake William, DON'T open that can!!!

All the energy from every strike that hammer ever made is stored inside it. Probably the equivalent of several pounds of C4 plastique.

Opening it would cause a worse disaster that that stupid woman who took a "church key" to her aerosol can of hair spray.

Happy Holidays,

Jeff (Starting the weekend's festivities a little early....)

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Sigh...Police Model? I lost one off the air cleaner on the freeway..I heard the rattle thump as I hit 75mph...knew exactly what it was..and couldnt go back for it in heavy traffic...damnit

Gunner

Gunner Asch