Diabolical particle board

Awl --

So my local corner church ( who for the longest time donated its very nice stone wall to the asses of the local Drug Dealers and other non-taxpaying self-employed) has regular tag sales, and one of the things that didn't sell last week (and thusly got picked up off the street at midnight by yers truly), was a nice-ish Ikea-ish dining room/breakfast room table, with side extensions.

I took it for the sizable piece of wood, and under the sodium street lamp, it looked perty nice. I figgered it was particle board, but when I looked on the underside, lo and behold, it had that that butchery-block appearance of nice biscut-joined pine. What a find -- esp these days! Sheeit, I mused, it's gonna be a shame to cut this up!! Mebbe I should go back for the frame?!

So I placed it -- and a Nordic Track Xcountry skier, that also didn't sell -- in m'truck, preparing for my gloat.

So, under my shop fluorescents, it still looked perty nice, but ahm lookin anyway, lookin some more, saying, Wow, if this is pine, I haven't quite seen a finish like THIS on top.... And, where's the end/side grain???

But, but, It's GOTTA be pine, well, cuz of the underside -- right??.

Wouldn'tcha know...... They *papered the underside in butcherblock*!!! GOT ME!!!!

No doubt for the would-be "savvy" home-moaners (such as myself), who thought they'd acquired a touch of experience.

I really chuckled over that one, and promptly cut the top up.

Man, you can never ever ever relax yer consumer vigilance.

I think my new invention (right after my Bachelor sink comes out, you know, the one with urinal lip on the front, with a mini-flushometer) is going to be Particle Butcher Block, made out of particle board!

So yeah, it will be a Butcher's Block.......

Oh, on the Nordic track, not sure, but I think the wood there is oak -- which is much more useful than the exerciser itself.

Reply to
Existential Angst

Could it be that the assembler could choose which side to show for the top?

Reply to
Steve W.

You be punk'd, dood!

Reply to
Swingman

Haha, I disassembled one of those skiers for the wood too. Some of it is solid wood, and other pieces are plywood. All straight and clear, nice finish on them.

Scrily

Reply to
teabird

It's up-scale particle board. When applying laminates, a balance sheet should be applied to the opposite side to avoid warping. In most cases, this is just a no-pattern laminate sheet. I should say, in most cases where they apply the balance sheet, I've seen I don't know how many counter tops and table tops where they didn't and they got that familiar edge swoop upwards typical of the cheap stuff.

Stan

Reply to
stans4