what can you store outdoors?

I have a buddy (HSM) who lives in Seattle proper. His neighbor phoned in a complaint and my buddy got a violation notice that he was in violation of Seattle ordinance 23.84.020 "junk storage". I looked it up and was horrified to see that you can't store wood, metal, or non-functional machines outdoors in a lot zoned residential in Seattle:

Here's Seattle's definition of "junk": (23.84.020)

"Junk storage" means the temporary or permanent storage outdoors of junk, waste, discarded, salvaged or used materials or inoperable vehicles or vehicle parts. This definition shall include but not be limited to the storage of used lumber, scrap metal, tires, household garbage, furniture, and inoperable machinery.

I lived in Seattle for many years and was certainly in violation of this ordinance for virtually all of that time. Now I live in Kirkland (a suburb). Here's Kirkland's definition of "junk":

Old or scrap copper; brass; rope; rags; batteries; paper; trash; rubber debris; wastes; machinery; scrap wood; junked, dismantled or wrecked automobiles, or parts thereof; iron; steel; and other old or scrap ferrous or nonferrous material.

Hoo boy. I'm a lawbreaker over here too. Guess I'll have to build a storage shed! Dang - then I'll have to get a permit .. can't win ..

Grant Erwin Kirkland, Washington

Reply to
Grant Erwin

That's the whole idea: One way or another, be it through permit fees or fines, your money becomes their money. Nice neat little package, ain't it? Welcome to America, land of the taxed-into-submission.

And to think... 200 years ago (give or take), there was a full-blown revolution that changed the socio-political face of the planet in ways that are STILL being discovered today. Why? Because the taxes were outrageous, and the revolters weren't getting anything but a hard time for their hard-earned money. Wonder where that spirit went? We could sure use some of it today, that's for certain. Sadly, there are far too many sheep wearing human costumes around for a revolution to happen these days.

Reply to
Don Bruder

So having a sailboat is definitely out of the question then???

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Lets see, I have three crucible furnaces, a cupola being made, couple of old water heaters, a montain of various exercise equipment steel frames (treadmills, cycles, benchs etc) a mountain of old automatic trannys and alum wheels, some old engines, a vast assortment of mixed machines in various stages of disrepair, piles of used and new lumber, tons of old store shelving and fictures, big wood and metal spools that electrical power cables and phone cable is supplied on .

And too many numerous piles of mixed stuff I br>===>===

Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

Here is what your buddy needs to do -

Go to an auction and pick up one of those 5 to 10 ton mills or lathes that go for $100 at auctions. He should make sure it's a functioning machine, not "inoperable". Then install it in the front yard, and run power to it. He better use an electrician to be IAW the law.

Sometimes when you can not "win", you can at least make a point.

V> I have a buddy (HSM) who lives in Seattle proper. His neighbor phoned

Reply to
Vince Iorio

5 to 10 ton mills or lathes that go for $100

better use an electrician to be IAW the law.

A blast furnace is much more exciting when the city inspector comes by to check it's functionality.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
AZOTIC

Sounds like a good excuse to build a bigger shop........

Im down here not too far south of you in an unzoned area of Cowlitz County--no regs like that Im aware of........Chip barrels, old cars, ect......No problemo.....

Being unzoned means no problems as far as operating a business or whatever on your property--the downside is if my neighbor wanted to put in a hog farm or dog kennel or sawmill, well, more power to him...legally, I have nothing to complain about.

Reply to
Steve

Just a heads up..as I recall it..the Tea revolt was a result of a 3% increase in the taxes on the tea. Three percent. 3.

Gunner

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Reply to
Gunner

(clip) Hoo boy. I'm a lawbreaker over here too(clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^ Most cities have all sorts of ordnances covering everything from weeds to landscaping to "junk," and who knows what else. I was once warned by a police officer that there was a law against working on my car in the street (which I was doing at the time.) He went on to say that if anyone complained, he would have to stop me.

I think that is the key. If you get along with your neighbors, the chances are these laws will never affect you. Over the years I have gained a reputation as a person who has lots of tools, and is willing to help other people. I have never had a problem with the law.

On the other hand, I know a guy who has managed to p*** his neighbors off, and he has nothing but trouble with the city telling him what he can and can't do.

Moral: Be nice to your neighbors.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Need to do a little more homework, the net result of the Tea Act was to reduce the price of a pound of tea by 24 pence per pound, of which 3 pence was tax, paid in India, not by the colonists, and direct shipping from India to the colonies, eliminating the British middlemen (and the American smugglers). BTW, the 3p tax amounted to 1/240 or 1.25 percent.

See:

Bob

Reply to
Bob Robinson

I'm in Seattle too and I definately try to be on good terms with the neighbors. I think I have welded something for 3 of my immediate ones.

Grant's post is an eye-opener for me as I would definately fall in that "scofflaw" category with steel, glass, salvaged lumber, etc. That said I do try very hard to present a neat appearance from the street and I have a 6' fence most of the way around my lot. I don't make noise after about 8pm if I can help it.

Things are a little more laid-back in the far north end of the city where we don't have sidewalks...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Dantzler

I think with a few well placed potted plants some things can become yard ornaments. Other neatly stacked items could be spread out as borders. Things aren't always as they seem. I think I would have a little sport with this one.

Don

Reply to
Don Murray

Gee. That does a pretty good job of describing my entire *house*.

:^)

Jim

jim rozen

Don Murray wrote: (clip) I think with a few well placed potted plants some things can become yard ornaments.(clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^ Now, that's a great idea. My wheelbarrow is lying up-side-down atop my woodpile, visible from the street. I'm sure it's illegal. On the other hand, a guy about a block away has a rusty wheelbarrow, with no wheel, right-side-up in his front yard, full of dirt, with flowers growing in it. Looks kind of nice, and I'll bet it's legal.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Gack...8pm....Im nocturnal, so tend to work in the shop to 2-3 am. My air compressor runs outside (100gal tank), my rotary convert whines, the welder flashes..and the surface grinder throws sparks, and the only visits I have from the cops, is when one wants to talk about making something for his boat, or trailer, fix a firearm, and whatnot.

A couple weekends ago, a LEO brought over an outboard motor on his lunch break, and we designed an anticavitation/hydroplane fin for it. And a bunch of it made before his lunch was over...at 3:30 am.

Im really glad I dont live in a city.....

Gunner

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Reply to
Gunner

Sorry, brain fart, there's 240p to the pound, so the tax was 3/240, or

1.25 percent. The Tea Act actually reduced the price by 24p, or 10 percent. I suspect the colonists were more pissed because the East India Company had a government-sanctioned monopoly, so they couldn't get their favorite Celestial Seasons flavors.
Reply to
Bob Robinson