How long can you store carbonated drinks?

Metal content: Aluminum Pepsi cans.

I long ago learned that soda in plastic bottles loses its fizz after a few months because the CO2 slowly leaks right through the plastic, but I thought that soda in cans would keep "forever".

Last weekend I discovered a 12 pack carton of Pepsi I'd hidden behind some other stuff in a kitchen cabinet so the kids wouldn't find it and consume it all in minutes. When I went to remove it the carton was stuck to the cabinet floor and when I opened it about half the cans felt far lighter than they should and there was evidence of dried sugar on them and the carton.

I looked at the date code on the cans and gave myself a "dope slap" when I realized that the carton was about three years old.

I was curious about what Pepsi had to say about that and called their consumer line.

The lady I spoke to was quite prepared for the question, so I expect they hear about "old" cans leaking frequently.

The first thisg she told me was that drinking the Pepsi from a can which had leaked wouldn't kill me because the high acidity in the product prevented the growth of bacteria. So, I guess Pepsi is one of those "foods" like Honey and mayonaise which can stand being "opened" and then stored at room temperature without spoiling.

She said the high acidity was also the source of the leakage I'd found. The cans are lined with a coating which is intended to keep the product from touching the aluminum, but it isn't always perfect, and if there's the tinyist imperfection in the coating the Pepsi will corrode its way through the can, sometimes in as little as 6 months.

She also told me, "It only takes one." And that if one can in a carton develops a pinhole leak, a chain reaction takes place because the outside of the cans doesn't have that protective coating and if it gets wet with Pepsi it will corrode through faster than it will from the inside.

The bottom line is that Pepsi expects their cans not to leak by the "Best Taste if consumed by" date on them, but leakage after that date is not unheard of. (I didn't have the chutzpah to ask her for a "warranty replacement", nor did she volunteer one.)

I was curious to see where the leaks occurred and what they looked like so I took the least full unopened Pepsi can and punched a hole in the center of the bottom with a nail set. I shook out nearly all the remaining liquid and then pressurized the can with 10 psi air by squeezing a soft rubber washer between my air hose nozzle and the can.

I stuck the pressurized can under some water in a bucket and spotted a string of bubbles coming from a spot on the side of the can.

Looking at the can with a 10 power loupe I "thought" I could see a tiny white spot where the bubbles were coming from.

Sacrificing my 5 cent recycling deposit in the name of science I cut the can open.

Here's what I found:

The whole inside surface of the can was peppered with little freckles where corrosion had started to gnaw through the aluminum. And, I could easily see light through the pinhole which leaked.

It was sort of reminiscent of the leak which developed in a 3 inch long steel pipe nipple about 6 months after I used a couple of them to stand dielectric unions on the top of a replacement electric water heater I installed in our home. When I did that I didn't stop to think about the fact that the electrical feed's grounding of the heater and the code required grounding of our copper plumbing system would close the circuit and nullify the supposed benefit of using those fancy unions. Both nipples got severely clogged with rust and I discovered the problem when a pinhole leak punched through at the root of an exposed thread, which was the "thinest" part of the nipple.

I found out later via a tech note at rhe Rheem water heater company that they now advise against using dielectric unions when installing their tanks for the very reason I learned by experience.

Case closed...I think...

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Good report, Jeff! Reading it made me thirsty - think I'll go bet a beer.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Reply to
RoyJ

Thanks, but if you are really going to bet a beer, try my favorite "bar bet".

Which is:

What's the easternmost state in the USA?

See the ninth "fact" on this page:

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Being a survivalist..I tend to stockpile foods and beverages. Like you, I recently discovered some soft drinks tucked away. 2 liter bottles of Mt. Dew. Purchased in 1999 and kept cool and dry.

They were just hunky dory when I drank them, proper fizz and everything, though to my conisewer taste buds it was just a smidge off. Which may have been a result of variation in formulation as I occasionally get a bottle that tastes the "off" when bottled at a different location.

Gunner, who can readily tell if Dew comes from tap, can, 2 liter or 12 oz bottle "Pax Americana is a philosophy. Hardly an empire. Making sure other people play nice and dont kill each other (and us) off in job lots is hardly empire building, particularly when you give them self determination under "play nice" rules.

Gunner

So the "Pepsi generation" might end up being the "Alzheimer's generation"?

More good news... NOT! >;-} David

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
David Courtney

Seems to me Hawaii also crosses 180° but I couldn't find a quick reference as to how far. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

Let's stamp this one out right quick! No less an authority than the Journal of the American Medical Association recently published an article that absolutely debunks the myth of a link between aluminum and Alzheimer's. Alzheimer's is a terrible disease but you don't get it from aluminum. Period. - GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Thanks, you beat me to it. This is one of those that Just. Won't. Die.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Even Rudolph Valentino got into the act!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Don't try drinking an old can of a diet drink sweetened with Nutrasweet! Someone told me once that it goes bad and I didn't believe them until I tried it. Yuck!!!! :-D

And I'm not so sure mayonaise is in that group. I've always heard it's a bad one for food poisoning... but I don't know for sure.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

It may not kill you, but....

It is (a bad one, that is).

You definitely DON'T want to be leaving mayonnaise out, even commercially pasteurized mayonnaise. Warm mayonnaise is one of the leading causes of food poisoning in the US during the summer months due to all the potato and egg salads (and perhaps condiment bottles) that get left out in the hot sun during picnics.

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

You are entitled to your opinion Michael, and I'm sorry if you feel I'm being a PIA about this but I try my best to be correct when I make statements like that which I know some folks will feel must be wrong...

Take a look at the label on a jar of Hellman's mayo...

See any words like "Refrigerate after opening" anywhere on it?

Don't take my word for it, take Hellman's:

http:

Note the word "indefinite" on that page...I don't think their lawyers would let them say that if it wasn't true, 'eh?

It's the potatos, eggs and meats in those salads which "go bad", NOT the mayo.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

If the ambient temperature is below freezing, you can store soda cans for only a few hours before they rupture. Last winter, my wife bought several cases of soda in cans and a bunch of 2L plastic bottles, then left them in her minivan overnight. What a mess! The 2L bottles didn't burst, but they swelled to about 50% larger than normal.

Reply to
Ron DeBlock

Safe in a way. The acid does dissolve stuff that drops into it or it onto the material. Might be a case for cleaning out the Arsenic from shrimp or nuts - My sister took a hit, she was eating fresh shrimp (cooked frozen, few thawed for breakfast..) and she also took large dozes of Vitimum C. The C dragged out the Arsenic from the shrimp. Normally it isn't converted and just passes through the body. She slowly did it to herself.

Martin

Reply to
lionslair at consolidated dot

http:

"Your mayonnaise should be refrigerated after opening."... Although it indicates for "product quality".

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Hum - I remember well when cold drinks were stored in steel cans. I lived on an island 2500 N. miles southwest of Hawaii ! Twelve weeks after leaving port in Oakland, a ship would bring what we need for that month - with flying bumble bees C-24 cargo masters (0.7 mile long runway) would bring in urgent and fresh food. (They were 24 hours flying from Hawaii!)

The steel cans would rust if left for 3 months or more in storage. The soda drinks (all kinds) were Fe enriched! - Iron content.

Some, actually tasted better! But we all waited for drinking out of a glass bottle.

Naturally, state sides, storage was never an issue and the can's internal 'plastic' like cover kept the soda free of iron until it was sold.

Martin

Reply to
lionslair at consolidated dot

OK, Jeff, I LOOKED at a jar of Hellman's "REAL" Mayonaise that is in my fridge which bears a "Best if used by" date of Oct 11 05. The label plainly, clearly and specifically states: "REFRIGERATE AFTER OPENING".

The list of ingredients includes WHOLE EGGS and EGG YOLKS. Ain't NO WAY I would use the stuff if it had been stored at room temp for any length of time (say, more than a couple of hours max) 'cause I've had food poisoning before and it's not a lot of fun.

Perhaps you are referring to Hellman's UNREAL (imitation) mayonaise? Or something?

Ed Greeley

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

http:

Reply to