Attn: Aircraft Modelers in Jacksonville FL

ORDINANCE NO. 2006-543-E
Introduced by Council Member Ray and amended on the Floor of Council:
ORDINANCE 2006-543-E

AN ORDINANCE AMENDING CHAPTER 656 (ZONING CODE), PART 4 (SUPPLEMENTARY REGULATIONS), SUBPART B (MISCELLANEOUS REGULATIONS),ORDINANCE CODE, ESTABLISHING SECTION 656.420 (PARKING, STORAGE AND REPAIR OF FLYING CRAFT AND AIRBOATS IN RESIDENTIAL DISTRICTS), AND AMENDING PART 16 (DEFINITIONS), SECTION 656.1601 (DEFINITIONS),ORDINANCE CODE TO INCLUDE A DEFINITION FOR FLYING CRAFT; PROVIDING AN EFFECTIVE DATE.
WHEREAS , parking or storing flying craft and airboats in unenclosed spaces, including a carport, is not an operation in keeping with the character of a residential neighborhood, and
WHEREAS , repairing, testing, operating, constructing, modifying or altering flying aircraft and airboats anywhere on a residential lot is not an operation in keeping with the character of a residential neighborhood, now therefore,
BE IT ORDAINED by the Council of the City of Jacksonville:
Section 1. Creation of Section 656.420, Chapter 656 Ordinance Code. Chapter 656 (Zoning Code), Part 4 (Supplementary Regulations), Ordinance Code is amended to create a new section 656.420 (Parking, storage, repair and operation of flying craft and airboats in residential districts) to read as follows:
Chapter 656 ZONING CODE
* * *
PART 4. SUPPLEMENTARY REGULATIONS
Subpart A. Performance Standards and Development Criteria
* * *
Sec. 656.420. Parking, storage, repair and operation of flying craft and airboats in residential districts.
(a) Flying craft and airboats shall not be parked or stored, other than in completely enclosed buildings, on residentially-zoned property, including residential PUD districts and properties with a residential component in a mixed-use PUD district. Airboats may, however, be parked or stored in the water adjacent to, on docking facilities of, or in a yard fronting a navigable waterbody of, a waterfront residentially-zoned property, including a property in a residential PUD district and a property in the residential portion of a mixed-use PUD district.
(b) Repairing, testing, operating, constructing, modifying or altering flying craft and airboats shall be prohibited in all residential districts, including residential PUD districts and properties with a residential component in a mixed-use PUD district.
* * *
Section 2. Amendment to Section 656.1601, Ordinance Code.
Section 656.1601,Ordinance Code , is hereby amended as follows:
Chapter 656 ZONING CODE
* * *
Part 16. Definitions
Sec. 656.1601. Definitions.
* * *
Floor area means, except as specifically indicated in relation to particular districts and uses, the sum of the gross horizontal areas of several floors of a building measured from the exterior faces of the exterior walls or from the centerline of walls separating two buildings, excluding attic areas with a headroom of less than seven feet, unenclosed stairs or fire escapes, elevator structures, cooling towers, areas devoted to air conditioning, ventilating, heating or other building machinery and equipment, parkingstructures and basement space where the ceiling is not more than an average of 48 inches above the general finished and graded level of the adjacent portion of the lot.
Flying craft means any vehicle designed for navigation in the air or through outer space, including but not limited to airplanes, helicopters and hot air balloons.
Foster care home means a facility located within a single-family residence located in a residential neighborhood and providing a means of resuming the experience of family living for a child who cannot remain in the home of the natural parents. The family foster home is a service designed to provide substitute family and parenthood relationships to foster care children. No more than six foster children shall be in a foster care home
* * *
Section 3. Effective Date. This ordinance shall become effective upon signature by the Mayor or upon becoming effective without the Mayor's signature.
Form Approved:
/s/ Dylan T. Reingold __________
Office of General Counsel
Legislation Prepared By: Dylan Reingold
6/19/2006 G:\shared\LEGIS.CC\2006\ord\Airplaine Enclosure (Enrolled).doc
On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:12:52 -0400, "Red Scholefield"

To pick nits, I would think our models are designed for navigation from the ground.
--
David - WD4JKH

Valid email: snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com
More grist for the legal mill to haggle over (at $250.00/hr). As far as I can see this is the only reason for the ordinance in the first place.
When it comes to lawyers, Shakespeare was right.
Red S.

David Hopper wrote:

David,
The aircraft is navigated through the air whether you are in it or on the ground.
Under this description, the only thing I can figure that is OK, is a free flying aircraft or a rocket that does not go in to space, since they are not navigated (Controlled).
Already been beat to death on rec.airplanes.homebuilt usenet.
See detailsb there
Hugh
Red Scholefield wrote:

No such newsgroup. try rec.aviation.homebuilt And its not beat to death until it is rescinded!
Red S.

I just woke up and this is the first thing that I read, so I may not have that good of a grasp on the subject, but how does this relate to model airplanes? Did I miss something?
Ed Cregger

Strictly reading, it makes no distinction of the size of the airplane, or if it is man carrying.
--
Jim in NC

I don't park my models outside of the house. How else would it affect models?
Ed Cregger

Do you ever take one, or an engine on a test stand outside, and test run it, or break it in?
If you do, you are working on one, and you are busted.
Yeah, I know, that is stretching it, but if you have a neighbor that is pissed off at you, and you have the law in your area, it is chance to call you on it.
--
Jim in NC

wrote

I feel the full scale aviation community's pain. Such is life as our population grows ever denser.
I was firmly behind ZPG (Zero Population Growth) back in the late Sixties/early Seventies. Then, one day, a thought occurred to me that the only people smart enough to see ZPG's value were - smart people! We now know that many smart people did not have children, but the rest kept procreating. Now we have to live with the consequences. Isn't democracy wonderful? <G>
Not long ago I spent a week in a local Catholic hospital. It was a most pleasant stay, considering the reason that I was there. The people were wonderful and positive. A favorite saying I kept hearing over and over again was, "It's all part of God's Plan". Since then I have come to accept that premise as truth. It makes living a little easier.
My original response was not to criticize the post being made in the model airplane newsgroup. I'm not a newsgroup monitor/nazi at all. I was just trying to see how the poster thought that his/her post would be of interest to modelers. Honest injun!
Ed Cregger
Now Ed, you can't go blaming God for all the bad stuff going on these days. No fair!
wrote

Ed Cregger wrote:

Ed,
As was previously said, it is real vague and it can be interpreted that any aircraft fits the description.
To answer on how it affects models. Try test running a 30% to 50% model with a 7 cu in engine in the backyard to test the law. I'll bet you will lose, especially if you are a close neighbor to the fellow that caused it.

I'll have to give you this point. Someone would complain if they were aware of the law and wanted to be a PITA.
Ed Cregger
Sure you can trust the government - just ask any Indian. :-)
Red S
"> I'll have to give you this point. Someone would complain if they were aware

You shouldn't be test running your engines in a close neighborhood anyway! Go to the field to do it!

| You shouldn't be test running your engines in a close neighborhood anyway! | Go to the field to do it!
Yes, but the law prohibits more than that.
You broke your prop? Well, you can't replace it at home, because that would be `repairing your aircraft' which is explicitly prohibited by that legislation.
Personally, when I went to the council meeting, I'd bring a paper airplane and some tape. Then when talking to the council, I'd rip my airplane, and then fix it with some tape. Then I'd explain how the law explicitly makes that illegal in my own home ...
It's a stupid law. It would still be stupid if it only applied to human-carrying airplanes, but it's exceedingly stupid as written.
Personally, I do occasionally run my engines at home to test them -- they're not really louder than a lawn mower, and I don't run them for that long. (Break-ins are done at the field.) Electrics I'll run _inside_ the house, much to my wife's dismay when they're for some screaming high-performance plane. The kids like it, though. The cat, not so much!
--
Doug McLaren, snipped-for-privacy@frenzied.us
Her face was a perfect oval, like a circle that had its two other
| As was previously said, it is real vague and it can be interpreted that | any aircraft fits the description.
I don't see how it could be interpeted any other way ... | To answer on how it affects models. Try test running a 30% to 50% model | with a 7 cu in engine in the backyard to test the law. I'll bet you | will lose, especially if you are a close neighbor to the fellow that | caused it.
Well, it also said that aircraft couldn't be worked on or repaired in any residental area at all -- visible or not.
So in theory you could be assembling your new ARF on the kitchen table, and the police could show up ...
--
Doug McLaren, snipped-for-privacy@frenzied.us
Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.
Ed Cregger Wrote:

Operation is also prohibited
-- the-plumbe ----------------------------------------------------------------------- the-plumber's Profile: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u 51 View this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?tV079
| > I don't park my models outside of the house. How else would it affect | > models? | | Operation is also prohibited.
Repair is also prohibited. Even indoors.
You can store them indoors, but can't repair them there. So that hole you poked in the monocote? Better not fix it at home, or the police will come and arrest you!
--
Doug McLaren, snipped-for-privacy@frenzied.us
`Unix gives you just enough rope to hang yourself -- and then a couple