Attn: Aircraft Modelers in Jacksonville FL

ORDINANCE NO. 2006-543-E

Introduced by Council Member Ray and amended on the Floor of Council:

ORDINANCE 2006-543-E

AN ORDINANCE AMENDING CHAPTER 656 (ZONING CODE), PART 4 (SUPPLEMENTARY REGULATIONS), SUBPART B (MISCELLANEOUS REGULATIONS),ORDINANCE CODE, ESTABLISHING SECTION 656.420 (PARKING, STORAGE AND REPAIR OF FLYING CRAFT AND AIRBOATS IN RESIDENTIAL DISTRICTS), AND AMENDING PART 16 (DEFINITIONS), SECTION 656.1601 (DEFINITIONS),ORDINANCE CODE TO INCLUDE A DEFINITION FOR FLYING CRAFT; PROVIDING AN EFFECTIVE DATE.

WHEREAS , parking or storing flying craft and airboats in unenclosed spaces, including a carport, is not an operation in keeping with the character of a residential neighborhood, and

WHEREAS , repairing, testing, operating, constructing, modifying or altering flying aircraft and airboats anywhere on a residential lot is not an operation in keeping with the character of a residential neighborhood, now therefore,

BE IT ORDAINED by the Council of the City of Jacksonville:

Section 1. Creation of Section 656.420, Chapter 656 Ordinance Code. Chapter 656 (Zoning Code), Part 4 (Supplementary Regulations), Ordinance Code is amended to create a new section 656.420 (Parking, storage, repair and operation of flying craft and airboats in residential districts) to read as follows:

Chapter 656 ZONING CODE

  • * *

PART 4. SUPPLEMENTARY REGULATIONS

Subpart A. Performance Standards and Development Criteria

  • * *

Sec. 656.420. Parking, storage, repair and operation of flying craft and airboats in residential districts.

(a) Flying craft and airboats shall not be parked or stored, other than in completely enclosed buildings, on residentially-zoned property, including residential PUD districts and properties with a residential component in a mixed-use PUD district. Airboats may, however, be parked or stored in the water adjacent to, on docking facilities of, or in a yard fronting a navigable waterbody of, a waterfront residentially-zoned property, including a property in a residential PUD district and a property in the residential portion of a mixed-use PUD district.

(b) Repairing, testing, operating, constructing, modifying or altering flying craft and airboats shall be prohibited in all residential districts, including residential PUD districts and properties with a residential component in a mixed-use PUD district.

  • * *

Section 2. Amendment to Section 656.1601, Ordinance Code.

Section 656.1601,Ordinance Code , is hereby amended as follows:

Chapter 656 ZONING CODE

  • * *

Part 16. Definitions

Sec. 656.1601. Definitions.

  • * *

Floor area means, except as specifically indicated in relation to particular districts and uses, the sum of the gross horizontal areas of several floors of a building measured from the exterior faces of the exterior walls or from the centerline of walls separating two buildings, excluding attic areas with a headroom of less than seven feet, unenclosed stairs or fire escapes, elevator structures, cooling towers, areas devoted to air conditioning, ventilating, heating or other building machinery and equipment, parkingstructures and basement space where the ceiling is not more than an average of 48 inches above the general finished and graded level of the adjacent portion of the lot.

Flying craft means any vehicle designed for navigation in the air or through outer space, including but not limited to airplanes, helicopters and hot air balloons.

Foster care home means a facility located within a single-family residence located in a residential neighborhood and providing a means of resuming the experience of family living for a child who cannot remain in the home of the natural parents. The family foster home is a service designed to provide substitute family and parenthood relationships to foster care children. No more than six foster children shall be in a foster care home

  • * *

Section 3. Effective Date. This ordinance shall become effective upon signature by the Mayor or upon becoming effective without the Mayor's signature.

Form Approved:

/s/ Dylan T. Reingold __________

Office of General Counsel

Legislation Prepared By: Dylan Reingold

6/19/2006 G:\shared\LEGIS.CC\2006\ord\Airplaine Enclosure (Enrolled).doc
Reply to
Red Scholefield

To pick nits, I would think our models are designed for navigation from the ground.

Reply to
David Hopper

More grist for the legal mill to haggle over (at $250.00/hr). As far as I can see this is the only reason for the ordinance in the first place.

When it comes to lawyers, Shakespeare was right.

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Already been beat to death on rec.airplanes.homebuilt usenet.

See detailsb there

Hugh

Red Scholefield wrote:

Reply to
Hugh Prescott

No such newsgroup. try rec.aviation.homebuilt And its not beat to death until it is rescinded!

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

I just woke up and this is the first thing that I read, so I may not have that good of a grasp on the subject, but how does this relate to model airplanes? Did I miss something?

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Strictly reading, it makes no distinction of the size of the airplane, or if it is man carrying.

Reply to
Morgans

I don't park my models outside of the house. How else would it affect models?

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

"Ed Cregger" wrote

Do you ever take one, or an engine on a test stand outside, and test run it, or break it in?

If you do, you are working on one, and you are busted.

Yeah, I know, that is stretching it, but if you have a neighbor that is pissed off at you, and you have the law in your area, it is chance to call you on it.

Reply to
Morgans

Ed,

As was previously said, it is real vague and it can be interpreted that any aircraft fits the description.

To answer on how it affects models. Try test running a 30% to 50% model with a 7 cu in engine in the backyard to test the law. I'll bet you will lose, especially if you are a close neighbor to the fellow that caused it.

Reply to
IFLYJ3

David,

The aircraft is navigated through the air whether you are in it or on the ground.

Under this description, the only thing I can figure that is OK, is a free flying aircraft or a rocket that does not go in to space, since they are not navigated (Controlled).

Reply to
IFLYJ3

I feel the full scale aviation community's pain. Such is life as our population grows ever denser.

I was firmly behind ZPG (Zero Population Growth) back in the late Sixties/early Seventies. Then, one day, a thought occurred to me that the only people smart enough to see ZPG's value were - smart people! We now know that many smart people did not have children, but the rest kept procreating. Now we have to live with the consequences. Isn't democracy wonderful?

Not long ago I spent a week in a local Catholic hospital. It was a most pleasant stay, considering the reason that I was there. The people were wonderful and positive. A favorite saying I kept hearing over and over again was, "It's all part of God's Plan". Since then I have come to accept that premise as truth. It makes living a little easier.

My original response was not to criticize the post being made in the model airplane newsgroup. I'm not a newsgroup monitor/nazi at all. I was just trying to see how the poster thought that his/her post would be of interest to modelers. Honest injun!

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I'll have to give you this point. Someone would complain if they were aware of the law and wanted to be a PITA.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

do you REALLY think they're worrying about models? It sounds to me that they're talking about parking, working on, etc. of full size aircraft and boats. It's the noise they're worried about I'm sure. I live near airboaters and it's annoying as hell!

Reply to
Jim Slaughter

Go down to the city council meeting and sign up to speak and ask them to exclude model airplanes! Take the whole club with you. Aside from that, call and talk to the city attorney and tell him you'd like to see the ordinance exclude 'miniature models'.

Reply to
Jim Slaughter

Now Ed, you can't go blaming God for all the bad stuff going on these days. No fair!

Reply to
Jim Slaughter

You shouldn't be test running your engines in a close neighborhood anyway! Go to the field to do it!

Reply to
Jim Slaughter

| As was previously said, it is real vague and it can be interpreted that | any aircraft fits the description.

I don't see how it could be interpeted any other way ... | To answer on how it affects models. Try test running a 30% to 50% model | with a 7 cu in engine in the backyard to test the law. I'll bet you | will lose, especially if you are a close neighbor to the fellow that | caused it.

Well, it also said that aircraft couldn't be worked on or repaired in any residental area at all -- visible or not.

So in theory you could be assembling your new ARF on the kitchen table, and the police could show up ...

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Operation is also prohibited

-- the-plumbe

this thread:

the-plumber

That 'they' may have intended to regulate full size machines, but as written the ordinance applies to all aircraft irrespective of size.

As for finding airboaters annoying, a goodly number of folks find toy airplane engines annoying as hell.

Reply to
the-plumber