Dial Caliper Adjustment

You got that right! :-)

When I was employed, the idea of borrowing a guy's tools was akin to borrowing his wife. That was back when I was married to my first one. I used to say I didn't lend my tools or my wife. Turned out I was half right. I didn't lend my tools.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Never lend your car Never lend your tools Never lend your missus

They'll always come back ####ed

Reply to
Paul D

Buy a digital...

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 21:53:19 +1100, with neither quill nor qualm, "Paul D" quickly quoth:

I like it!

That's why it's important to buy at least some HF tools. Keep a spare of whatever someone might wish to borrow. Get a security deposit for the value, and then loan it out. When (not if) it comes back screwed, have them keep it and you can get a fresh one. The clincher is that anyone who couldn't afford to rent one surely couldn't afford to put up a security deposit, and anyone who would offer their friendship up before a security deposit isn't your friend anyway. ;)

------------------------------------------------------------- give me The Luxuries Of Life *

i can live without the necessities * 2 Tee collections online

Larry Jaques

Yeah, but how do you realign the digital display?

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Don Foreman wrote: >

Yeah, the metrology lab is pretty laid back, we just sit around looking at the sky and thinking about the weather.

Oh, wait - that's the meteorology lab! Just what is it that I do here, anyway?

However, the tech in question is too valuable an asset in his own right for me to deny him the loan of my (normally closely-guarded) standards and instrumentation.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

That's exactly how I deal with the loan of my books nowadays. I've never had a loaned book returned in the past, now no one even bothers to ask. The deposit I would ask on my rarer, out-of-print books might require a second mortgage on the part of the borrower. It's all a matter of perceived value - I perceive it as more valuable than they do.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

We do something similar in our office when a kid's parent asks to borrow a book from our library. We politely ask them to leave us a check for our guesstimated value of the book and tell them we won't cash it unless they "forget" to return the book within two months. I can't recall anyone not returning a book timely in the several years since we started doing that.

I figure that maybe if they balance their checkbooks once in a while they'll notice the uncleared check and do something about getting our book back to us.

**************

Re measuring tools; About 40 years ago there was an excellent toolmaker named Sven Somethingorother in the model shop at the place I was working for.

I had a crappy beat up 1" mike and one day a few of us young injuneers hatched a plot to pull Sven's chain with it.

I went over to his bench and asked him if I could borrow his 1" mike for a couple of minutes. He reluctantly agreed and handed it to me. I could feel his eyes on my back as I walked over to where the other guys were, but before I'd got there I'd switched my mike for his.

I proceeded to clamp a piece of plate to another piece sticking up out of a vise, using the crappy mike like a C-clamp, while pretending to twist the mike's barrel (with both hands) as hard as I could.

Sven beat the world record time for running from his bench to ours, but I was holding his mike up in front of me by the time he made it over. I can't remember if he appreciated the gag or not, but the rest of us sure did.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

There was a short article in the latest issue of Home Shop Machinist (or maybe it was Machinist's Workshop) magazine which arrived in the mail a couple of days ago.

It showed how to use a digital caliper as an adding or subtracting calculator by appropriate use of the zero button and the movable jaw.

So simple anyone on rcm can figure out how to do it without more details, and it might just be handy if you don't have a pencil and paper handy.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Jeff Wisnia wrote: ...

Years ago someone (Mike Graham?) posted a tip about using a digital calipers that way. Maybe ... his tip was using the zero to get a direct reading of oversize-ness for turning on a lathe:

- open the calipers to the desired size

- zero it there

- measure the work size

- the calipers now read the oversize amount (at the final size the calipers will read zero)

I do this all the time and it is *really* handy!

Also works really nicely for turning to a metric size:

- in metric mode zero at desired size as above

- switch to inches mode and continue as above - the readings now tell you in inches how much you are over your metric size

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Heh!

You want the full story? I allowed a *friend* to borrow our car, which was returned with a wrecked fender. Same dude that was doing her, unbeknownst to me at the time. As you suggested--------:-)

My measuring tools are still virgins.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Chuckle!!

I was about to suggest a vernier.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

I use that method all the time but when I zero the readout, I use a calibrated reference. Now for that particular measurment the caliper is accurate to at least .001 in. and you are less likely to make a mistake with addition or subtraction.

John

Reply to
John

replying to Joe, StingerMac wrote: On my Mititoyo dial calipers, I can take the screw that holds the plastic bezel in place all the way out. I then insert a clean wire preferably a little thicker than a paper clip into the exposed slot. After sliding the caliper open to a point where the needle is at 12 o'clock position, I push the wire all the way in to disengage the needle from the teeth on the hidden toothed rack. I hold the wire pushed in and slide the caliper closed. Then remove the wire. It my take several tries to get it perfect.

Reply to
StingerMac