diamond tile cutters

Has anyone tried cutting metal with the inexpensive home depot diamond tile cutters? The table saw type.

Reply to
Shabtai Evan

Cutting metals (ferrous) with diamond isn't recommended. Diamond use is normally restricted to hard, brittle materials, non ferrous. You'll destroy the blade if you cut steel----or most other metals, for that matter.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Reply to
woodworker88

No, it wouldn't be, and shouldn't be done. Abrasive parting wheels (aluminum oxide) are made for that purpose. Trust me on this subject---diamond should not be used to cut ferrous products at red heat, Diamond is readily absorbed by such material at temperature, so it's destroyed rapidly. There's more than enough information available to substantiate the subject matter, research done by Norton in the 50's. . Assuming there's no parting wheel available, items such as you described can be easily broken by scoring with the corner of a grinding wheel, then smacked smartly with a hammer.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

On 6 Dec 2006 22:14:24 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "woodworker88" quickly quoth:

(your topposting corrected, putz)

No, that's what the $10 HF die grinders and 1/16 x 4" cutoff disks are made for. The proper tool for the proper fool, as it were.

- Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.) -----------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
woodworker88

That's the problem with asking a question around here. People don't answer the question asked.

Can you cut a HSS shank with a tile saw. Yes or no?

Yes there are a million other ways to do the job but he did not ask about other ways. He asked about cutting with a tile saw. And a little less BS about "red heat" on a tile saw is probably in order. Tile saws run in a water bath. All that I saw accomplished was that you got 88 to shy away from his original question without ever having had his question answered.

Reply to
Cliff

Right on ,

i have 50 of those HF

3" cut off wheels and they fit a 1/4" electric die grinder .... I use light dimmer to get the speed perfect ....

I can cut a cable or a chain or do tiny work in seconds and with a head magnifier ! Encredible handy tool !! But HF has some shakers , I had to return it !

I had to make my own arbor . It needs hi flanges to hold the cut-off wheel true , for precision work Turn it 0.252" and make it so wheel is close to the elect grinder for stiffness ....

Reply to
werty

Right on ,

i have 50 of those HF

3" cut off wheels and they fit a 1/4" electric die grinder .... I use light dimmer to get the speed perfect ....

I can cut a cable or a chain or do tiny work in seconds and with a head magnifier ! Encredible handy tool !! But HF has some shakers , I had to return it !

I had to make my own arbor . It needs hi flanges to hold the cut-off wheel true , for precision work Turn it 0.252" and make it so wheel is close to the elect grinder for stiffness ....

Reply to
werty

What part of "don't do it", along with the reason why not, makes this hard for you to grasp?

Listen, moron: This is a good opportunity for you to learn something that you obviously do not know. Why not take advantage of the opportunity so you can converse with those of us that have the experience and share it freely?

Maybe that's because you can't understand English, or refuse to accept an answer with which you don't agree. Please keep one thing in mind: Not agreeing with commonly known and accepted knowledge won't make you (or it) wrong, it just makes you look stupid.

Could be you'd be better served to go back to school and learn the language well enough to understand what you read. Mean time, why don't you run along and play in the quicksand? Or----maybe you can try, once again, fencing with Gunner. He enjoys that, particularly when his opponent is unarmed, as you appear to be.

Cliff-------Up to now, I've simply ignored you, secure in the knowledge that you're just a simple person that likes to stir the pot. Don't make me use my plonk.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos