Four post car lift

I'm looking to buy a 4-post automotive lift. Anybody have an opinion on brands and accessories? Thanks.

In this NG, you have to build it from scratch.

Would love to make my own. But, I don't trust my math. Any plans out there?

Next best thing to buying plans is to buy a chinese "kit". You'll have to dissassemble it first, then remake half the parts before assembling it.
A Rotary hoist is always a good bet. Lots of other good ones too. I'll check what brand my brothers is - it's had 10 years of HEAVY use - very little problem (has replaced cables twice?

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

That's what domestic lift suppliers are doing, in essence
On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 12:33:55 -0500, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

Two of my brother's three 2 posts are Rotary - the other 2 post and his 4 post are HydraLift. I spent 3.5 hours under the one rotary 2 post this afternoon fighting with my wife's Mercury Mystique - changing the transmission pan gasket on a 2.5 liter automatic with the full load is NOT CHILDS PLAY!!!!!

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 16:16:49 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Chief

Here's a 2-poster kit from Harbor Fright. I wonder if anyone here has trusted them enough to buy one... http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?ItemnumberF299 Cheap at $2,300.
- Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.) -----------
On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 19:28:26 -0800, Larry Jaques

I think these guys did-
http://www.directionzero.com/2006/lotus-elise-dropped-from-lift /
Four posts. Definately four posts.
H.
On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 09:21:49 GMT, Howard Eisenhauer

An Elise will still fall off a 4 post lift when lifted at the points marked on the underbody for trolley jack usage. They are emphatically not for any free lift of any description.
Lifting requires knowledge of c of g ponts (but you and everyone else already knew that!)
On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 20:32:31 +0000, with neither quill nor qualm, Mike

Everyone except the fidiots at that particular Goodyear tire store. Hey, a simple chain (or even a 1/4" poly rope, ferchrissakes) around the front suspension would have prevented that. And why didn't the jerk who took off that last tire simply grab the front end and hold the thing down so it didn't fall off. It probably could have been held on the hoist by a teen boy with one hand. Another question is why the car was put up so far in the air for a tire change. The guys at most tire stores just get them off the ground. C'est la guerre.
--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. ---------------------------------------------------
Chief McGee wrote:

Look to buy a good used one. Check the inspection certificate. Ours are inspected by insurance companies in UK. Check any service records. Find out why it's for sale. You will need the jacks that go with it. All UK ones that I've seen are 3 phase. Power requirements are fairly low though. These come up on eBay quite often in UK.
Hope this helps.
John
I have an Eagle lift, very satisifed.
Tony

Pick up a copy of Hemmings Motor News, lots of adds. Many are American made, usually in the midwest. Expect to pay around $2k+, depending on accessories.
Alex

    --I've been looking at the lifts in the Northern catalog. Haven't reached any conclusions other than a four post lift seems to be the safest scheme.
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Egads I'm becoming
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : a Woot-aholic!

Not conclusions, but some suggestions:
You get what you pay for. Cheapest isn't best. If it's holding a car over your head, you want a good one.
I, too, am shopping for one. Haven't decided yet, but will shop along those criteria. A friend of mine just put one in a new garage he built where he restores Ferraris and Maseratis. I'm gonna check and see what he went with, although those cars are lighter than most American cars and trucks.
It's a big ticket item, and there's lots of considerations. Good for you for doing homework before spring for any one particular one.
Steve
Eagle Lifts