Next best thing to buying plans is to buy a chinese "kit". You'll have to dissassemble it first, then remake half the parts before assembling it.

A Rotary hoist is always a good bet. Lots of other good ones too. I'll check what brand my brothers is - it's had 10 years of HEAVY use - very little problem (has replaced cables twice?

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

That's what domestic lift suppliers are doing, in essence

Reply to
Rex B

Look to buy a good used one. Check the inspection certificate. Ours are inspected by insurance companies in UK. Check any service records. Find out why it's for sale. You will need the jacks that go with it. All UK ones that I've seen are 3 phase. Power requirements are fairly low though. These come up on eBay quite often in UK.

Hope this helps.

John

Reply to
John

I have an Eagle lift, very satisifed.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Pick up a copy of Hemmings Motor News, lots of adds. Many are American made, usually in the midwest. Expect to pay around $2k+, depending on accessories.

Alex

Reply to
AHS

Two of my brother's three 2 posts are Rotary - the other 2 post and his 4 post are HydraLift. I spent 3.5 hours under the one rotary 2 post this afternoon fighting with my wife's Mercury Mystique - changing the transmission pan gasket on a 2.5 liter automatic with the full load is NOT CHILDS PLAY!!!!!

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 16:16:49 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Chief McGee" quickly quoth:

Here's a 2-poster kit from Harbor Fright. I wonder if anyone here has trusted them enough to buy one...

at $2,300.

- Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.) -----------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

--I've been looking at the lifts in the Northern catalog. Haven't reached any conclusions other than a four post lift seems to be the safest scheme.

Reply to
steamer

Not conclusions, but some suggestions:

You get what you pay for. Cheapest isn't best. If it's holding a car over your head, you want a good one.

I, too, am shopping for one. Haven't decided yet, but will shop along those criteria. A friend of mine just put one in a new garage he built where he restores Ferraris and Maseratis. I'm gonna check and see what he went with, although those cars are lighter than most American cars and trucks.

It's a big ticket item, and there's lots of considerations. Good for you for doing homework before spring for any one particular one.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I think these guys did-

Four posts. Definately four posts.

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

Eagle Lifts

Reply to
Tony

An Elise will still fall off a 4 post lift when lifted at the points marked on the underbody for trolley jack usage. They are emphatically not for any free lift of any description.

Lifting requires knowledge of c of g ponts (but you and everyone else already knew that!)

Reply to
Mike

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 20:32:31 +0000, with neither quill nor qualm, Mike quickly quoth:

Everyone except the fidiots at that particular Goodyear tire store. Hey, a simple chain (or even a 1/4" poly rope, ferchrissakes) around the front suspension would have prevented that. And why didn't the jerk who took off that last tire simply grab the front end and hold the thing down so it didn't fall off. It probably could have been held on the hoist by a teen boy with one hand. Another question is why the car was put up so far in the air for a tire change. The guys at most tire stores just get them off the ground. C'est la guerre.

Reply to
Larry Jaques