die-cast pulleys

I had to replace a 3-step pulley on a machine -- the old one broke and
had been replaced with the wrong one which was horrible. My choices were
to make one or to buy one. I wound up buying a die cast one from Chicago
Die Casting Co. even though I knew going in the runout would be terrible.
It was. I put it on a mandrel and was able to true it up on the lathe,
though, and now it looks and runs like a 100% lathe-turned step pulley.
Only a couple of hours work instead of a couple of days, too, mostly fiddling
with setups.
I've dissed these die cast pulleys before, but now I know they have enough
pot metal in them so that they can be trued up. So, like many things nowadays,
you have to regard them as "kits".
GWE
Reply to
Grant Erwin
Good to know . Too bad decent pulleys are so pricey . Umm by the way my wife always considered me a " kit " ;-) . At least she has dedicated most of her life to fixing whats wrong with me . Ken Cutt
Reply to
Ken Cutt
"Ken Cutt" wrote in message
Has she had much luck? My wife hasn't had much, seem like just getting older and wiser changes guys more than the women! Just an observation..... Lane
Reply to
Lane
A good source for multi-step drive pulleys and more are the cheap benchtop drill presses from the orient. You can buy them new for $40, and they come with two stepped pulleys and other usable hardware. Pulleys are steel or cast iron on the ones I've looked at. I've seen them used to make a complete drive setup for small lathes.
Reply to
Rex B
Seems to me like the original reason I started looking into wonky step pulleys was because of the terrible manufacturing standards in the import drill press step pulleys .. oh, well.
GWE
Reply to
Grant Erwin
Of course, you'd want true them up before use. Think of them as rough castings
Reply to
Rex B
Welllll she thinks she is making progress . Why just the other day she managed to get me to admit that toilets do indeed have seats that move ;-) . Ken Cutt
Reply to
Ken Cutt
Check with the parts department at Horrible Freight. Just pick out a unit that has parts you like, grab the model number, go on-line to get the parts breakdown and call them up. I needed a 1/2"+ drill chuck with a #2 MT. I had a suitable chuck from an old drill but the best price I could find for the 1/2"x20 arbor was $20. HF had a new 5/8" capacity chuck with arbor for $9 plus $3 shipping. Tough to beat that price.
Rex B wrote:
Reply to
RoyJ
Yeah, so...? When she wants it down, she can put it down.
Reply to
Lane
I'm thinking about cutting a deal: The toilet seat will go down upon leaving the bath room when the light switch handles go down upon leaving the other rooms.
Lane wrote:
Reply to
RoyJ
I assume that you kept the arbor and threw the chuck away? Bob
Reply to
Bob Engelhardt
Always kinda wondered..... When I go there, and if I plan on sitting, I always look to see if the seat is down..... I don't really understand what the big deal is.. some have said that they sit on the bare porcelain bowl because the seat was up.... obviously didn't look. Kinda like backing the car into the garage without looking to see if the garage door is up.... Ken.
Reply to
Ken Sterling
OTOH what is the other solid flat piece called? The lid, right? Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Reply to
Gerald Miller
Back before I retired, I was in the hangers $hithouse washing up sa it was time for lunch.
One of the stalls was occupied, and then I heard a flush, and a ahhhhhhhhh %^*(*&%^&%$^%$^& . The door opens up and the person was really pissed to say the least. It was common for us to put our hats in our waistband with the bill between the belt loops, and since we were military it was mandatory to always have your headgear close by. Well it turned out this dude backed up to the john, and loaded up his hat instead of the bowl.........
How about that old trick with wrapping the bowl with saran wrap!
============================================== Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked!
Reply to
~Roy~
First 30 years to get this far lets not rush in too fast and spoil the next 30 ;-) . After that I am fully prepared to make a small change ;-) . Ken Cutt
Reply to
Ken Cutt
That's nothing a good welder can't fix!!!
Reply to
nospam.clare.nce
My wife prefers to find the toilet seat up, she hates it to have to sit down on a wet one.
Reply to
John
On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 16:13:30 -0500, the inscrutable John spake:
Some women are less flexible.

--Socrates + Web Application Programming
Reply to
Larry Jaques