die grinders

Makita die grinders any good?

Compare them to Dremel and Foredom. I know Foredom is a lot better, but I mean as a handheld, will it cut nearly as good as a Foredom?

How are they to control? I don't want it for precise work, and probably will be using it two handed most of the time.

Price seems pretty good, NIB on ebay.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I have four or five die grinders, use them a lot. The Makita is one of my favorites. The tapered nose makes it easier to hold than the usual cylindrical air die grinders. I rarely use two hands on a die grinder. Occasionally I will put one hand on the work and the other on the die grinder, and use a finger of the hand on the work to help position or stabilize the die grinder. You can also use the Makita like an overgrown pencil, resting your hand on the work.

I have not used the Foredom, but a 1/4 inch shank die grinder is 10 times as powerful as a Dremel. I rarely use my Dremel anymore.

Richard

SteveB wrote:

Reply to
Richard Ferguson

Makita makes several different die grinders. I'm sure they're all pretty good but I haven't used them all. However you need to be very careful abuot their GDO810C. It was discontinued several years ago and can still be found on ebay for very cheap. It was designed to spin very large bits and so spins very slowly. This is fine if you're going to use a large bit, but is useless if you're going to use small carbide burrs, etc.

The electric die grinder that Harbor Freight sells for $30-$40 is very good too.

Reply to
AL

I don't know about die grinders specifically, but in my experience Makita make pretty good electric tools. I have a Makita angle grinder and my father has a Makita pistol grip drill. Both seem pretty decent. But if you've got an air compressor you might want to look at air powered die grinders. I think you'll find there's a larger range and you can't burn them out either.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I have no complaints with the one I bought at Princess Auto for Cdn$11.99 Of course I don't know any better. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

What type of work do you think you will use it for? If it will be light pressure the Dremel will probably work. If you will be using moderate pressure and tool sizes, then the Foredom (or offshore clones) are good. If you will be using 1/4" carbides to work metal, then the Makita will be a good choice.

The Makita will be a 2-handed tool, whereas the Dremel and Foredom are

1-handed. If you use a flexible shaft on the Dremel, or are using a Foredom, keep in mind that the shaft is spring wire and if the cutting tip binds up the spring will break. All 3 types do a good job, but are designed for different levels of similar work.

Alex

Reply to
AHS

Can I use rotozip with grinding bits? I own a rotozip, personally.

Ignoramus15937
1 mind the rpm 2 not as well made as a die grinder
Reply to
bamboo

I respectfully disagree with the other posters about tha Makita die grinders. I am a pipeline welder of 25 years and use nothing but Makita power tools....except for their die grinders. I have two of them and although they are of excellent quality and are very durable. They spin too freaking fast!! They spin so fast that they will bend the shanks of the die that you are spinning should one come a little bit unbalanced. I have the Model 906H ...one in aluminum housing and the other in plastic ...They spin at 27000 RMP which in my opinion is way too fast. I have had, (on many occasion) had a 50 dollar bit bend over and crater due to being unbalanced and then the shank bends over 90 degrees due to the centrifigal force of the RMP. ...then try and shut the damned thing off as it is vibrating in your hands as you reach for a toggle switch on the back of the unit. You don't dare let it go for it may turn on you.. Both are resting comfortably in the "unused" section of my tool cabinet at home. I bought a Dewalt die grinder with a trrigger on the handle that spins at around 19000 RMP which is a lot easier to handle and much easier on bits and my nerves. I agree that Makita makes an excellent and a wonderful tool...but I really think they screwed up on the RMP of these things and to also have a toggle switch on the back of the unit is like having a trigger lock (something I usually disgard as soon as I buy).

My take on this is buy what you like....just stay away from that

27000 RPM and a toggle switch.... Hope that was of some help....Jim
Reply to
Jim & Lil

Sorry...I screwed up on My RPM....I wrote RMP a few times....when you see that I meant Revolutions per Minute and didn't write it down correctly...should have reread before posting...my fault....regards...Jim

Reply to
Jim & Lil

Excellent point! I have my Makita plugged into a speed reduction foot pedal, I almost never use it at full speed. I strongly recommend using this approach, nothing scarier than a 1/4" carbide cutter flailing at 90 degrees.

Alex

Reply to
AHS