die grinder advice sought

I need a small die grinder. My daughter is getting me a Foredom for Christmas, but I need one now. I have been looking at Makitas on ebay, like the GE0600. I just need it for some light finishing.

Any input from people who have these? I am not crazy about Dremels, as this would get used for a long time, and I don't think Dremel will last for the steel work I do. The Foredom is in the pipeline, but I need one NOW, and besides, the Makita will be quicker and easier to use in some situations.

All advice appreciated.

STeve

Reply to
SteveB

Check pawn shops.

One never knows. Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

SteveB wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

If you've got air available, look at the pneumatics. At the low end, HF usually runs their micro-die grinder on sale at about $20, there's other makes that cost more. Runs rings around any Dremel. Only drawback is that it's limited to one shank size. I do have a couple that use Foredom collets, though. Or you can go up to 1/4" shank size and really move some metal, takes a bigger compressor, though. The micros use very little air by comparison, can be run off a pretty small rig. Best part of pneumatics is that they get cooler the longer that you run them. Flex shafts and Dremels always seem to get too hot to hold before the job is done when I use them. I've got several of the micro grinders, it's easier leaving them set up with different bits and burrs than changing them in the middle of a job. I have a multiple quick-connect manifold, so I just put down one grinder and pick up another as needed. Just presenting an alternative option...

Stan

Reply to
stans4