Dimensions - Dumore series 44 toolpost grinder pulley

Mostly waiting for things which really need that kind of finish enough to make it worth while setting up the grinder and covering everything else to protect it from the swarf. :-)

I'll post when the new pulley arrives.

Actually -- the first place where I am likely to use it is in making the collet chuck for 1/4" shank stones. And that will be ground only on the ID to make a good register, so that won't photograph well.

Back when I was making Morse Taper 4-1/2 to Morse Taper 3 (and to Morse Taper 2) adaptors would have been a nice time to use it -- but I didn't have it then. Maybe I should make new ones with a case hardening which I can then grind to a better fit.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Yes, and well beaten.

Almost. His big specialty was fuel injection for gasoline engines, largely for airplanes. He made prototype pumps from steel pistons closely fitted into steel cylinders. He showed me one when I was a kid. The piston was about 0.5" diameter, and the stroke was about 2". The fit was tight enough to be almost airtight, and a single stray dust particle caused a screech. I recall him saying that the clearance was

0.0001" or so. I think that this DuMore was in charge of grinding the bores and pistons to final shape.

Not so much, I think, because the pulley diameters will be chosen so the belt only rarely comes back to the same place. The effect is to frost the surface and wear it away.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn