DITCH WITCH 1010

I just bought a Ditch Witch Model 1010 with a bad gearbox that drives the rear wheels. Anyone have one or any parts for a 1010 and any advice?

Thanks

b.

Reply to
buffalo

Have you taken it apart? You need to define bad.

Could be a simple as a shorn key, or as bad as a broken teeth/gears....

Bought a Vermeer 450 a while ago with a bad gear box. Turned out to be a shorn key (and a shot bearing). I think it cost me $100 to get it fixed up and back together.

I figured worst case, for what I had in the machine I could scrap the motor and hydraulics and come out ahead. Cheap fix had yielded a very useful machine.

Finally decided to fix some of the leaky cylinders. A few of the end seals were pretty shot, but the cylinders and the rams seem fine. Another $100 in seal kits.

I don't think I could have rented one for a day, for what I have in this machine total(including purchase) and it has bailed me out of more than one jam. Having a backhoe/trencher around can be quite handy. :)

JW

Reply to
jw

Thanks for the comments JW.

No, I haven't taken it apart as yet. What happened is that the bearing spun and wallowed out the housing that keeps it.

It still works so the honest, previous owners say, except it is very noisy. The gear case is cast iron so I try my hand at welding it and machining a new race.

They don't make this gear box anymore and the replacement price for the upgraded gearbox is astronomical.

This thing only digs 24 inches down and 6 inches wide so, it is not a real big machine but I am hoping that I can run water pipe and electrical conduit underground with it.

I am not familiar with your machine but am going to Google it.

Wish I had a backhoe.

b.

Reply to
buffalo