JD-540LT Tranny

Anybody here have any experience trouble-shooting the John Deer 540 diesel lawn tractor transaxle?

I was given one because a local shade-tree guy did a butcher job on it, and it no longer has reverse.

There's a _hint_ of reverse, but no torque to it. The local mechanic took it to fix leaking seals on the two "neutral" relief valves. He brazed their tops shut (thus disabling neutral), and stuck one of them slightly open doing it.

I had to destroy the valves to "fix" them. But I think I've got both fwd and reverse sealing properly. Only... still only enough reverse to _help_ push it backwards. Forward has good torque.

Thanks.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Where are you located?

Reply to
buffalo

Upper east coast Florida, just south of St. Augustine.

LS

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh