DIY Acrylic Molding at Home?

I'm interested in creating some basic shapes out of acrylic but don't want to cut acrylic sheets or order custom cuts from manufacturers.

My shape is basically 0.75" thick x 2.50" long x 3.00" wide.

I need to create alot of these quickly and inexpensively.

Are there at home acrylic polymer kits I could use or could I create my own mold and buy off the shelf acrylic to create these?

I am a newcomer to plastics and don't know where I could buy acrylic liquid and what I should buy, etc.

Thanks for any help.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Brophy

has allot of good information that may help you granted the total cost to set up can be a little on the expensive side if you go with all of there products and accesories. Instead of using their silicon mold making material i use the copper silicon gasket material from the auto parts store and i use a slightly modified old preasure cooker with my air compressor for getting bubbles out of transparent castings

Reply to
ranaepidermata

I don't know of a pourable acrylic. They do have clear plastic molding stuff at hobby stores; I think it's polyester. Not too expensive, but it shrinks quite a bit when it cures.

Check out

I haven't used this stuff, but I've used other stuff that is probably similar.

Clear urethane is better, but it's pricey. I've had good luck with Polytek products.

Their catalog is a good primer on making cast plastic objects.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Does the Eager Plastics stuff need degassing during the pour? I don't have the equip and need something with low viscosity so I can have virtually bubble free castings.

Thanks again.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Brophy

I haven't worked with materials from Eager, but any pourable material will need either degassing or pressure while curing if you want bubble-free castings.

Having said that, hobby shops do sell clear polyester casting material and many hobbyists don't have either vacuum or pressure, so you might get acceptable results with such materials.

Reply to
Don Foreman

contact american acrylic

Reply to