Do I have any hope of selling "Charmilles Eleroda 200" CNC EDM machines

They told me that they all worked. There was another machine at that auction that had a problem. I did not end up buying that one. I can hook them up to 240 or 480 if you send your repairman to test prior to purchase.

Ignoramus2407

On 11/10/2013 5:19 PM, Ignoramus2407 wrote: ...

Not necessarily, no. The donations of the large compressors and so on we get at the tech school from the pipeline companies for the gas compressor tech program are certainly from S-corps. They are, of course, capital equipment from them, not inventory as in your case of the subject equipment here but certainly there's nothing unusual in the fact it's a S-corp making a donation to a qualified institution and receiving the tax benefit therefrom.

Reply to
dpb

PS. _Some_ even get caught! :)

Reply to
dpb

Hogwash.

There's a sucker born every minute...

--otherwise, it would have cost the previous owner to have them hauled away.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this volley in news:c8-dnXk7VIapHBzPnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@scnresearch.com:

Well, there's still a good use to be had in a small shop for a CHEAP sinker machine for burning out broken taps or 'drilling' hardened or carbide tool stock; Rockwell drills won't do it all.

It's only a 'sucker deal' if it's too expensive, or doesn't do what you want after you buy it. Caveat emptor.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

One last comment...the tax rules are as they are for charitable contributions (both personal and corporate) for a reason -- it's deliberate public policy and seen as beneficial incentive to support such.

So, if it's appropriate for the situation, use it w/o qualms. This doesn't mean abuse it, of course, but there's no reason to shy away from doing so for fear of audit or somesuch just because it's the business for a legitimate case.

If, for example, the subject machine were one that you had had for a period of time as a piece of gear you used in the business to process other materials for resale or made product with for resale and subsequently became either redundant or otherwise immaterial to the business it would be perfectly legitimate to make such a donation and take the market value less basis whatever that basis value was, however it was shown fairly on the books.

Reply to
dpb

"small shops' generally don't have room for things that large, especially if it's only going to be needed once in a blue moon.

Well dammit stop breaking taps, Lloyd !!!

Never had the need....but if I do, I'll send it out to someone who already has the capability..

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this volley in news:m8OdnWV8w_AvyR_PnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@scnresearch.com:

_I_ haven't broken a tap I couldn't get out with a regular extractor in a year or two... but there are 'other hands' here who aren't as concerned with wrecking parts as I am (because it doesn't cost _them_ anything).

Actually, they're not bad, either, but it happens.

Besides, I meant a SMALL sinker setup, not a big monster like those. There are some with no automatic X/Y feeds that would fit in the space of a table-top mill-drill.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

FYI

F. George McDuffee

simple "Tap Busters" or "tap burners" can be had fairly regularly at auctions and ebay for little money.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Gunner Asch fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Exactly, and although F.George's suggestion would be good for someone who had time to build and fiddle, my time is worth a lot more than a surplus small machine would cost.

Heck... I cobbled up a crude EDM in the early 1970s that used a 250W incandescent lamp as a ballast. It worked .

But still... the features you can get for a few hundred bucks on an old commercial tabletop machine would be fine for just teasing out the odd tap or drill bit chips.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Gunner Asch fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

There's one on Ebay right now, ostensibly in working condition (says he tested it), with lotsa tools for $1750. Figure $400 to get it here.

A day's wage.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I can have one burned out for about 35 bucks.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Lloyd, what is the subsystem in the EDM that generates those pulses? Can it be sold to some hobbyists or for an alternative purpose?

Ignoramus11549

"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this volley in news:V9CdncgzTo6lHB_PnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@scnresearch.com:

And a day out, and a day in. What if you need it _right_now_! (like in only the time it takes to burn out?)

You may be privileged to work in an industrial complex with many specialties. I'd have to send or take the part 46 miles to Orlando to get it done, and most shops down there don't give "while you wait" service.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Ignoramus11549 fired this volley in news:saWdncSNv8W-GR_PnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I've never seen the schematic for a modern one. Back in the 70s, the simple ones used variable-frequency (variable speed) AC mechanical motor- generators, and half-wave rectified it to get the pulses. I _seriously_ doubt if that clunky method is used now, with inverter technology at hand.

Maybe Gunner could answer.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I make regular trips anyways....

DONT break off a tap in it!!!

Not even close.

22 miles round trip...the machine is almost always idle.
Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this volley in news:ybydneAgGoX1Fh_PnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@scnresearch.com:

So... it fits your business model. I break one so seldom I really don't need one, but if I did, it would be a better fit to have a cheap one in- shop.

Besides... it can also be used to drill through devilishly hard materials, and if it has orbital cycles (a lot of small ones can orbit, usually mechanically), it can also tap those substances.

So borked taps and drills aren't its only service.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Yup, like you, I've somehow gotten by fine without one for many years now....

--but if a small unit, that maybe mounted onto an existing drill press presented itself for cheap then I just might.

HAZ and/or a truly piss poor surface finish oftentimes precludes such use.

Curious what in the world I would ever want to do THAT for?

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this volley in news:abudnbJH3sfqDh_PnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@scnresearch.com:

HEH! I can't really see the need for that, either.

I _can_ see the WANT for the ability to drill carbide or high-chrome tool bits occasionally, but Rockwells will work on the tool steel, and I can farm out the carbide, as seldom as I'd ever need to pierce a piece of it.

The only regular use I'd have for that is for wear-resistant cord guides, and there _are_ a wide selection of ceramic and carbide guide grommets available out there, if I need them. I'm betting buying them would be cheaper than cutting them myself.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh