Do you recognize this?

I posted several weeks ago about the following item:

and got a few replies. But no real answers. So I thought I'd try again. Do you recognize this tool holder?

I'd like to know what machine it fits.

Gary

Reply to
grice

I posted several weeks ago about the following item:

and got a few replies. But no real answers. So I thought I'd try again. Do you recognize this tool holder?

I'd like to know what machine it fits.

Gary

Reply to
grice

Why are you sure it's a tool holder?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Looks to me like a Morse taper adapter for a KwikSwitch or similar quick change system, but I do not know what system.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

Gary,

It is a quick-change adapter for a drill-press. I don't remember which manufacturer, but the bits all have Morse-Taper shanks, and they fit in the hole in the end. You can change bits with the drillpress running, merely by raising the outer ring of the "chuck", and the bit with its adapter will fall right out. Just slip (often "SLAP" in the shop where I worked "piece-rate") the replacement bit in its own adapter up into the chuck while running and go for the next hole.

Some chucks used a similar system, but required you to grab the outer shell of the chuck to release the bit.

Old timers in large shops would remember those systems. Working with gloves on made this change process easier on your hands, but there were other hazzards associated with working while wearing gloves. "Three-Fingers Mike" will vouch for that.

Flash

Reply to
Flash

Alien anal probe...don't ask how I know.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Thanks. I figured it was some sort of "quick-change" system but I've never seen this particular type before.

Gary

Reply to
grice