Dole scrounger's whereabouts?

Gunner Asch on Thu, 10 May 2018 18:36:12 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

See?

My problem right now is that I'm pretty sure I have "one" - but I just do not know where it got shoved. So I'll eventually have duplicates.

Snerk, friends were clearing out the late great "Bear's" place - kept finding "yet another set" because he'd bought replacements when he couldn't find them.

-- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although far too often, Age travels alone."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Gunner Asch on Thu, 10 May 2018 19:41:07 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

"From my junk to your store." Been there a couple times.

Went into Hardwicks for some specialty tools. The one I wanted (burnisher for scraper blades), they were out. But - and he takes me over to the router bit cabinet - "You really want tungsten carbide, and this will do" - a 1/4 bur bit about 2" over all length. "Used" so only $3.95.

-- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although far too often, Age travels alone."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Ayup. Last I heard, a full 80% of people with degrees are working in fields -other- than their degree.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Count me in, my degree is Chemistry and my career was Electronics, working with several other ex-chemists and an astronomer. I had learned the basics such as V = L di/dt in college and picked up rapidly evolving integrated electronics on the fly like eveyone else.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I prefer facts to anecdotes. Here are some facts for your area.

That says that buying a home is twice as hard as it used to be, but is ameliorated by lower interest rates and lower down payments. So the new normal is more debt, less equity, and more chance of getting underwater. That's as good a spin as one can put on it, but more recently requirements have been tightened for those low down payments, and rates are rising. "The harsh reality is that the new rules will reduce homebuyers' purchasing power substantially."

All that's based on current wages, but there's continued downward pressure on those.

I had to laugh at some of the affordability numbers, which included monthly property tax bills as much as triple Wieber's annual bill... that he doesn't pay.

Reply to
In Crowd

From a WW II RCOC poem - Sure wish I could find all 483 verses!

My Grandpappy, he once kept pigs he had eighteen or twenty they lived in dry and well kept digs and good food they had plenty

If I'd known then what I know now and been a little snappier I'd have stayed at home with Grandpa's pigs and been a damn site happier.

Reply to
Gerry

Gunner Asch on Fri, 11 May 2018 09:30:44 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I'm working on that. The semblance of order.

-- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although far too often, Age travels alone."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Kitchener-Waterloo is in the higher price bracket for areas outside the GTA, and sits somewhere between edmonton and Calgary for the price of "starter" homes.

Average household incomes run 100,800 in Waterloo, 85,500 in Cambridge, and 80,400 in Kitchener. I've never been close to that average

The "average" house price has gone up 40% in the last 18 months, to a current average of $500,000 in the kitchener/Waterloo area. Cambridge prices average $400,000 Guelph, being closer to Toronto, is a bit higher.

Down the road an hour, in London it's still down in the high 300,000 range. St Thomas is about $260,00 Windsor is around $265,000 and is starting to go up. Statford is about $319,000

So as you can see, there are lots of areas in Ontario where housing is still very affordable if you don't need to commute to Toronto and you don't want a McMansion.

The new "stress tests" are pushing up the lower end faster than the middle or top level homes, while the influx of Toronto buyers is pushing up the upper middle level homes within 1 hours of Toronto (Brantford, Hamilton, guelph, Kitchener, Cambridge and surrounding areas - particularly semi-rural settlements)

My nephew is buying a house in Stratford and working in Mitchel. Nice Semi - just over $300,000.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

He's lucky. Most people will need to commute farther from their higher paying jobs to find lower home prices. Or settle for lower wages closer to lower home prices. If they choose to commute and start piling on the miles, in addition to the fuel they'll be paying $2000 service bills more often. Whenever I have one of my vehicles on the hoist I think of what the average person has to shell out for that. I'm about to do a minor steering overhaul (pitman, idler, 4 ties rod ends) on my pickup. If I took it in for that, I'd be getting a call telling me to do the ball joints, all 4 rotors, and the parking brake shoes, at a minimum. I get to choose what isn't worth fixing for me. Most people will take the shop's word. That's a reality that most young commuters are stuck with.

Reply to
In Crowd

Let us know if you find it. Sounds interesting.

My favorite song about pigs and war is here, with lyrics:

Rock on!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The phrases "really nice" and "open front" are mutually exclusive when referring to cabinets. DAMHIKT. (I hate dust, grit, & oil residue.)

P.S: Ping me offline. 5th request.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Clare Snyder wrote in news:heh7fdhq79f2ethv8d4nq1o3qqap4i07qh@

4ax.com:

Another corollary to that is in the Bob Seger song "Against the Wind":

"Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then."

One of the most poignant expressions of regret I've ever heard.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Another one -" It's what you learn after you know it all that counts" John Wooden

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Doug Miller on Sat, 19 May 2018

02:54:59 -0000 (UTC) typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Amen.

-- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although far too often, Age travels alone."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

That's always good!

Having tried for 1+ month, I sent the first two emails to the gmail addy, and the third to both gmail and hotmail addies. No response to those or the first one here, but you did the second here.

My friends ask me if I know how to dial a phone. I reply "Not since they took the dials off'n 'em."

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Shoulda tried FB first, huh?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

What's an email visa vis? Whatever it is I don't need one. I've been cutting back, if I have to ask what it is then it's time to throw it out. 5000 emails in a week? WTF! How long has that been going on? Doesn't that make email 100% pointless? However you managed to accomplish that is something I don't want any part of. Maybe you should uninstall your email visa vis?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Spamming assholes.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

They said the check is in the mail, so that settles that. Now back to private email.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Haw haw haw! He got you but good!

Reply to